Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never been so busy in my life.

Already 'full-time-plus' busy.

Now got one call for complete siding and windows.

And believe it or not, 2 calls both for 'dual' bathrooms.

All this, - - just today.

And I don't even advertise.

All three jobs are a pretty sure thing if I decide to take them.

One's a 'regular' and the other two referrals from other bathroom customers.

Just gotta figger' out how to 'juggle' it all.

Is everybody else this busy??

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Tom... If you called my today, unless it was for a quickie service call, it would be mid November before I could schedule you. Depending on when a few houses currently under construction are ready, that might even be iffy.

This year has been spectacular all in all, and I've been what I'd consider "behind" and have been so for months. I am resisting the urge to hire another person for the time being, to see how long it holds on. I've quit doing estimates for new customers about 3 weeks ago for the time being until I can get a little more caught up and serve my existing customers better. I have even turned down a few signed proposals from customers based on the age of the proposal, which I normally also don't do. I also resist the urge to work more than 8 or 10 hours, 5 days a week. I owe that to myself and the guys. The regular workday is hectic enough, and we don't need long days and long weeks to add to the misery.

Good word travels fast.

Do what you say you're gonna do, when you say you're gonna do it, at the price you said you'd do it at, and you'll never be short on work. Guaranteed.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, good advice there.

Glad to hear you're so busy, - - I know what you mean about bein' patient to hire another guy.

I'm 'backed-up' a little over a year, - - but they're all 'regulars' and therefore, the schedule is as flexible as I want it to be.

This way I can be real 'picky' with any new customers, - - and if i 'want' to fit them in, - - I can.

Life is good, - - except for the part where I told the wife I'd somehow fit in a front porch/living room conversion on our house, - - and she's already out furniture shopping.

Oh well, - - I'll just have to give her the old "Every one else PAYS me"!! :help:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm buried and beginning to get a bad rep for not doing work. Lemme esplain.

About 5 wks. ago I tell a potential client that it will be a few months until I can review his plans and compile an estimate for kitchen cabinetry. Last week, he begins a flurry of phone calls (as many as 3 a day) trying to speed me up. I remind him of what I originally told him. Yesterday he calls me and, in amongst all of the profanity, blows me off. What gives with some people?

I don't need to work for some psychopathic meglomaniac anyway.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Super buried here too.
Shouldn't be long before my own office and secretary..
Can't wait for that interview process :)

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Florcraft said:
Super buried here too.
Shouldn't be long before my own office and secretary..
Can't wait for that interview process :)
Yep, - - and here in the trades, - - her 'measurements' are essential. :cheesygri

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Red Tagged? ooooooo, Watch out Teetor, the death squads might be making the rounds,............... if all contractors had to worry about was an Uncle Sam red tag this biz would be neck deep sweet stinkin gravy.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My Ins. Co. bailed in the middle of hurricane season and left me hanging on that business. It was rectified in short order. This is a small town and is still reeling from the double whammy that we got last year, updating the records is not a primary concern even today. Everybody is still working on permits.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could somebody call the 'Contractor' police, - - I think I been HIJACKED!!

:eek:fftopic: (love that sign)

Back to who's busy and who's not.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tom R said:
Could somebody call the 'Contractor' police, - - I think I been HIJACKED!!

:eek:fftopic: (love that sign)

Back to who's busy and who's not.

I could'nt find any police,however I think I found a judge.:hammer: Things are pretty busy but I have had better years of recent past!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
plumguy said:
I could'nt find any police,however I think I found a judge.:hammer: Things are pretty busy but I have had better years of recent past!
I think that's Judge Roy Bean ya' found there!!

Well, at least you're pretty busy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts