Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the title states I have a business opportunity.

A little background, I currently produce 7,000 hogs a year. I own the hogs and have contract growers that grow them to market size for me. I am currently looking at financing to put up my own barn to raise them myself.

I also own a post frame building company that is really starting to take off. I am currently booked for 8 months of work for 2014 and 3 months of work in 2015 doing large agricultural buildings. I am looking to expand into a 2nd crew doing smaller residential size buildings.

My dad owns chickens producing eggs. He has been very successful and is now looking to retire.

So, he just approached me the other day and said one of my brothers asked him about getting into the business, and he asked if I am at all interested as well. As I said he has been very successful.

My current thoughts at the moment are primarily to get the building put up for my hogs as I can build a lot of equity there relatively quickly. If I do that I won't have the finances to get into the chickens. My dad say that if I were to invest in the chickens I would probably have to give up the building which wouldn't be for about 2 years. Now, post frame building is very demanding on the body and I didn't see myself doing it past about 40 years old anyway. I could just work for my dad for a few years and wait until the hog barn and myself were in a better financial position to get into chickens.

Sorry, lots of rambling and just had to write it down

·
Super Moderator
30,074 Posts
I'd keep banging nails. Running livestock sucks. Work 24/7 and dealing with the dumbest creatures on earth

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you located?
I'm about 25 miles east of Fargo, ND.

Banging nails is pretty much what I've done for 12 years. But livestock farming is what I grew up with. Our family understands agriculture. The 24-7 schedule we understand as well. You are married to it, can't leave even for a day without having someone else there. The operation I'm looking to invest in just went through a transition in operations and my dad and brother were putting in 70-80 hours a week for 3 months until the system was figured out again.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I would think that your knowledge of the livestock business and your knowledge of the building business might compliment each other. I mean you can talk to pig producers with 350 sows and tell them exactly what they want as far as a farrowing operation, nursery, gestation, and now a finishing operation.

This has to be worth something.

You can design the buildings down to the farrowing crates, feeders, heating & ventilation, feed delivery, watering needs, etc. You can connect with equipment manufacturers and order 350 farrowing crates at a time, so you should be able to offer these at a profit. Same with the feeders, waterers, feed storage and delivery, heating and ventilation equipment.

Sounds like you have a good knowledge of the poultry business as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts