Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how you business men and women created the names for your companies? I am trying to stay away from geographic names such as State Construction or personal names.. reasons are the company could overflow across state lines or I could sell the company down the road. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
As I stated in the other post, it is important the name of your company be a description of what you do. You stated you were going to be doing design and build. Here are some possible names:

Design & Build Pro's.
Best Design & Build
Quality Builders & Design

As you see I am taking your core business, design and build, and adding a descriptive word. I assume your plan is to be high end, as opposed to cheap and affordable. If you are going to offer the lowest prices then by all means go with something like affordable, cheap etc...

Use dictionary.com or thesaurus.com for synonyms (sp?). Type in words like quality, trust considence (See my post about "wich word means more".) Choose a word that best describes who you are and how you plan for your business to be and then add that word to a description of your core business.

In my opinion this is how to choose a name.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize about the double post - I forgot I had asked this in the other post. I am leaning away from having design or building terms. The reason is because I want to put more of the type of homes we will be creating. Something like Rustic or Craftsmen (double meaning) something or other. In the area we are starting the company just about all new construction has some type of timber frame porch, entry, or interior. Also because of all the other services we will offer beyond just design and construction. Once I get it all figured out I'll let yall know what it is. Thanks for the advice.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.. I think I have it figured out. It's a combination of the design side and the construction side. I'm going to purchase the domain and reserve the name with the state.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Grumpy said:
BTW check out the link in my signature. No this is not going to be my perm. web site but I put that splash page up to show people.

Like the slogans? :)
I like it a lot!

Do you think you will ever have a problem with the name since its not specific to what you do? Did you really get them Trade Marked, or did you just throw that up?
If you did get the TM what process did you use?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
No. (Edited) is the actual company name, but one quick registry with the cook county court house and BAM I can be any name I want.

The name I plan to work under will be: (Edited), Roofing & Remodeling I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Trade marks are both in the process of registration. I reigstered the trademarks myself on the ustpo.gov web site.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shouldn't that be a service mark instead of a trademark? The only reason I say that is it's service based and not a trademark because you are installing an already trademarked item through a service company.
If you look at what they consider goods and services on this page http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/international.htm you will see building construction falls under services.
But, as always, I may be missing something. It'll be interesting to see if they allow you to trademark it.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Your probably right and I pissed away a wad of cash but oh well.

A trademark is anything that is used, or intended to be used, to identify the goods of one manufacturer from the goods of others. It is a brand name. Trademarks are important business tools because they allow companies to establish their products reputation without having to worry that an inferior product will diminish their reputation or profit by deceiving the consumer. Trademarks include words, names, symbols and logos. Anything that distinctly identifies your company can be a trademark, provided that it is for goods.

A service mark is very similar to a trademark, except that it is used to distinguish services in the stream of commerce. Like a trademark, a service mark can include words, names, symbols and logos. Typically, trademarks appear on the actual product or its packaging, while service marks appear mostly in advertising for the services. In this law library, when we use the term "trademark", we generally mean both trademarks and service marks.

The above was taken from legalzoom.com

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
For me I want a name that somebody can figure out what you do instantly. Since I don't have a spare 100 million dollars around to build a brand a name like "Google" would be suicide.

The fine line I want in a name is it has to be descriptive, but not so defined that it will limit what people will assume you do. This is especially important for yellow page advertising. People use 2 things to determine who they will call. The size of your ad and how quickly they can determine from your ad that you are providing exactly the service they are after.

Home Improvements was the perfect description for my business. I could have name it RM Kitchen remodelling, but that would have caused people in need of bath rooms or basements to pass me up.

You need that perfect combination of specific enough yet ambiguous enough to allow you to further define what you do through smaller lines in your ads after they get through the name.

I put the Custom in my name for 2 reasons, first RM Home Improvements belongs to a company here that went bankrupt 6 months ago and after contacting them to see if I could get their name from them it turned into a nightmare, so I was forced to look further. The Custom made it work, plus it really does change the perception of what people think I do. Custom says you are doing something a little nicer or different.

I also wanted a web site name that would be easy for people to plug into the computer, too many people have a hard time spelling something correctly. Being able to associate the website directly with the initials I hope will be a plus.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts