Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm opening a new LLC and was hoping I could get a couple different opinions. I am a general contractor who subs out all trades except for carpentry which I do myself. I offer services for any remodel or new construction. I can't decide which one to chose for a name. Remodeling, home improvements , general contractor or construction. Did I miss any?

·
Registered
819 Posts
you could also use RENOVATIONS....one of my GC's uses it and i think it sounds higher end

remodeling is what id use...it sounds residential

contracting sounds commercial

home improvements typically means -cheap (at least in my area)

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I went with (My Last Name) Carpentry.

If I could go back I would go with Last Name Remodeling Solutions or something like that. Something that sounds more professional.

I thought carpentry sounded better than what most people around here use which would be construction but does not sum up what I do well at all.

All I can say is take your time and pick well because it gets expensive to change after you have vehicle lettering, yard sign, clothing, etc...

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
How about 'Home Renewals'? "Why buy a new HOUSE when you can Re-New your existing HOME"

home improvements typically means -cheap (at least in my area)
Interesting thought. I use 'Home Repairs' as part of my schtick and sometimes I think that conveys cheap. As in I'm just repairing something and not renovating it.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Remodeling seems to leave people with the thought that you work mostly on the interior doing kitchens, baths, and so on.

General contractor leaves people with the impression you are expensive and do only very large jobs

Home improvements leaves people with the impression that you are some where between a handy man and a full service construction company

This make construction a very nice option

I would go with something along the lines of Center Gable Construction

On a side note. The tag line is key. The business name can't tell some one what you do but the tag line can and they will always be together.

Center Gable Construction
A full service interior and exterior remolding firm

Obviously that is a bit weak but you get the idea. The name is the name and the tag line tells them what you do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I do all residential work. I went with Name Home Services. This way I can market myself in many different ways without having to redesign my logo or change my name cause Im an LLC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like builder but the average person may think I build houses every day. I agree home improvement sounds to handy man. I'm thinking more towards remodeling or construction. Thank for your input

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The name should not be limiting----

This is your LLC? You can have a seperate 'DBA" name---

I agree 'home improvement' sounds like a lower skill than builder or construction--
I never had a business name--just my own--makes cashing a check easier---

Like others have said--the tag line helps define what you do well---and can be changed as your business changes.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
One thing that I like about the word "construction" in a company name is that it makes people think that you are bigger and better than you really are. People tend to think that you construct entire buildings and so remodeling their bathroom will be a piece of cake.

They would rather have their bathroom remodel be "routine" for the contractor vs. it being the biggest project that they've ever took on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My business name is Urban Refurbishment. It's kinda weird but home owners tell me that it sounds high-end and professional. Thought about using my last name but too many people do that, wanted to be different.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I do all residential work. I went with Name Home Services. This way I can market myself in many different ways without having to redesign my logo or change my name cause Im an LLC.
Like Mike said. You don't have to use the actual llc name, you can have a dba name under the llc and its not difficult to change.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I like to have the LLC as part of my name though. To me it shows a level of professionalism. It wasnt all that expensive but I have shirts with logos and decals and so on.

When i signed up for the LLC i wanted my name to be something flexible. Services can and does mean any number of things.

I get a laugh out of seeing "such and such" roofing and remodeling. Or "painting and remodeling". If your going to do remodeling just say that why include the first part?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I named my business Lakepark Development LLC. I thought that using "Development" instead of "Construction" or "Remodeling" would keep my options open. (Even though, almost all the work I do is residential remodeling!) I have my business name on my truck and when people ask what I do, it's a good opportunity to sell my business!

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I named my business after my dogs. A contraction of their names. I also have them on my website and actually got numerous jobs from it. I wasn't planning it but those flea bags turned out to be good salesmen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts