Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys you I had put a post awhile back about doing cabinetmaking on the side I hope to put into action next year, I check with my local city about licenseing and they I need to apply for a license and they say the cost is $160.00 I have not check into insurance yet, I know I need that do. I would like to get my home builder licenses as well, but I dont know do Alabama home builder licenses cover cabinetmaking.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
$160 is a small price to pay to keep the government big wigs happy and off your back.

But you need to find out if you need both a city license and builders license, or if a builders license covers cabinetmaking.

Or perhaps the city charges that amount to anyone who operates a business. Might just be the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would also like to get my home builder's license as well, but I have to buy the books to take the test, the test is open book.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Are you building cabinets and selling them to customers and contractors, or are you building and installing them.

For the former you would just need a business license, for the latter you would need a business license and the contractors license to cover installation.

·
Registered
917 Posts
business license is basically just the city wanting your $160 to set up shop in their town. Financial technicality.

As far as a builders license, like Kgmz said, you only need a license if your installing them, not if your just building/selling them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts