Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My business is based from my home. I live on acreage in a rural area and have a large shop behind my house for the business. This is where we keep all the equipment, do repairs, etc. The shop has its own bathroom and is pretty well separated from my house.

The work we do is 90% on the road in other towns or even other states and we normally work 2-3 weeks at a time. Most my employees don't leave their cars at the shop while we are gone they have some one drop them off and some one pick them up when we return. This is where the problem lies. It seems there is usually is someone (not always the same guy) who has an issue with his ride home.

This last trip we were gone over two weeks. My wife and kids usually are waiting for me to return and have plans as soon as I get there like us going out to eat or something like that. One of my guys who happens to live about 100 miles from the shop tells me after we get there that his ride won't be there for another two hours so I had to hang around until his ride got there.

How would you recommend I deal with this issue? If they are late showing up to work they will get left behind. Not sure how to handle them being late leaving? It sounds like it is no big deal but it really sucks. I have thought about dropping them off at the gas station down the road or the bus stop.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
I have almost the exact same set up. And have some of the same problems..

I built a 12x16 "show-up room" at the front of the property by the road.
The guys turn in their paperwork there and can hang out if they need to wait for a ride.

Has worked great for me..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have almost the exact same set up. And have some of the same problems..

I built a 12x16 "show-up room" at the front of the property by the road.
The guys turn in their paperwork there and can hang out if they need to wait for a ride.

Has worked great for me..
My shop is kind of setup the same way. You walk in and theres my office. Anything important is locked up in there. And there is access to the bathroom but to actually get into the shop you have to have another set of keys. Mainly for my nieces and nephews that come over so that they can get in there and hurt themselves.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also forgot to add our entire property is fenced and we have an electric gate at the front that we keep closed. Don't want to leave the guy hanging out by shop with gate open and take off. Not that I don't trust him but who knows who is coming to get him and don't want them poking around the place while I am gone nor do I like leaving the gate open while I am gone.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
Don't know if it works in your situation but I have a 3 year old14x60 trailer house that I moved onto the place a couple years ago. I have a many- year employee who lives in it and he makes sure the gates are closed, shop is locked, etc. every night.
Really love having him back there.. Super nice when I go out of town.

·
Registered
819 Posts
drive him to the nearest gas station or store if you dont trust him alone at your house

for my house/shop id just lock everything up and let him sit in my back yard.....id trust him not to break into the house....if he has to poop then oh well

sounds like your yard of more of a compound than a normal house though.....my yard doesnt have a gate

i understand why your employees have this issue......i would consider it to be a normal situation and make it work for them

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not that I don't trust my guys, but they have some shady people pick them up at times. You never know what might happen with peer pressure and all. Aside from they can not close the gate because it is electric and it only operates with the remotes my wife and I have.

It is not like we just show up at the shop at random times. They only need to find rides maybe once every two weeks and they typically know the day before we are coming home and then it is often a four hour drive home. So they can arrange their ride the day before and then tell them the day of "we are leaving now be there in four hours".

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It is not that I don't trust my guys, but they have some shady people pick them up at times. You never know what might happen with peer pressure and all. Aside from they can not close the gate because it is electric and it only operates with the remotes my wife and I have.

It is not like we just show up at the shop at random times. They only need to find rides maybe once every two weeks and they typically know the day before we are coming home and then it is often a four hour drive home. So they can arrange their ride the day before and then tell them the day of "we are leaving now be there in four hours".
Then drop them off at their homes if it's only every few weeks.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
I imagine they all have cell phones. If they aren't going to be met for a while, they should know with a phone call an hour before you get back (while you are still on the road) Should be easy enough to have them make arrangements to be picked up somewhere you can drop them instead of them coming all the way to your place.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then drop them off at their homes if it's only every few weeks.
You have got to be kidding me. Grown men can't find a ride to and from work once every couple of weeks? I am not a taxi service. I would guess they all live within 20 miles of the shop but in different directions. To drop all of them off (sometimes 8 guys) could take a couple hours not to mention multiple vehicles to hold all of them and their luggage.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You have got to be kidding me. Grown men can't find a ride to and from work once every couple of weeks? I am not a taxi service. I would guess they all live within 20 miles of the shop but in different directions. To drop all of them off (sometimes 8 guys) could take a couple hours not to mention multiple vehicles to hold all of them and their luggage.
So just drop off the guy that has the problem.

What kind of solution do you want from us? It sounds like your employees are bottom feeders.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I really don't know what you want as an answer. You don't want the guy waiting around at your place, you don't want to give him a ride home...so drop him off at a coffee shop or call him a taxi?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know an easy solution I thought maybe someone here might have had a similar problem and had a creative idea. I have tried giving guys rides and once you so it once they expect it all the time .

90% of the guys go straight from here to the bank to cash their checks so maybe once we drop equipment off at the shop I will drive to the bank (taking anyone without a ride with me) and pass out checks there. That way anyone without a ride will be left at the bank waiting for their ride.

I guess I am just venting more than anything. It sucks being gone from home 2-3 weeks working and having your family anxiously waiting for your return and then when you get home you have to wait around for hours because of others crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts