Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today should have been a Monday.

Had to drive the wife's car again due to my monumental failings yesterday. Not that big a deal. Just the guy showing up to the job in a Hyundai with a donut, no big deal.

Rockin and rolling on the paint when the lights go out. Apparently nobody switched the electric over. Ok whatever, I've dealt with adversity. We've got pretty good daylight. We can close this deal.

Get a call that I need to meet the movers over at the old place(which I'm also working in simultaneously) to let them in as, somehow, I have the only set of keys to either apartment. Hmmm, ok. The movers are coming today you say? Interesting. Must paint faster.

Bah, whatever. It's 2:30 and I'm done and sitting at home, so how bad could it have been?

How'd you guys do?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was going to try and beat the wild weather coming in, so left all my tools and equipment with one of the guys(very dependable) so they could start while I looked at a couple jobs. Needless to say, he picked the perfect day to miss the wake up call. Couple estimates and now we will be working in the storm the weather channel claims is rolling in. oh well...

·
Registered
Remodel
31,609 Posts
I had a whole day of it. All I really had to get done was mix up some mud and get it on some patches, but do you think that could possibly happen? Worked till 9 and got zip done.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hung a USED door in a drywall opening. Floor is massively out of level. The old hardwood transition piece isn't long enough, trip to Lowe's. Somebody did something funky with some furring strips under the new drywall so I have to make jamb extensions. We have to cut the door off so much, cause of the low header height, that we have to insert wood in the now hollow bottom. Simple my ***.

Then a "Simple" trim job on 3 doors, different house, but the drywall was about 1/8" wider on either side...how does this happen? undersized jamb? Plus the trim was just 1x4's, so no relief cuts on the back means it's even harder to make it lay flat.

Plus the flooring guys cut off the wood entry door too much, making for a 1/2" gap at the bottom. Cold air pours right in. They beat the crap out of the threshold too for some reason. Looks like they'll be getting a new door.

Then tonight I spread the glue for 225 sq VCT in the morning. At least that went well, seems like side jobs usually don't.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,609 Posts
We have to cut the door off so much, cause of the low header height, that we have to insert wood in the now hollow bottom.
I set aside half a day for those types of doors, and another half day for a custom cut threshold if the floors on both sides of the doorway don't run parallel to each other.

I actually prefer to cut the wood or MDF bottom completely off. You can just take the cut off piece and shave the faces off on a table saw, then glue it back in. If you only cut part of it off, you have to try to take the rest out, clean up the faces on the inside, then cut a piece of wood to fit.

·
Punching above his weight
12,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today was better in a few ways, much worse in others.

Got the wife's tire patched so I got my vehicle back today. Got to the job to do some patch and paint only to discover that I had forgotten the patch. Dammit. Ran back home. Cost me 30 minutes. Whatever. Had a covered garage to park in so I was out of the rain. That was nice.

Real bummer though was when I got home a couple hours ago I noticed a street blocked off. Whatever, been a lot of paving. I park and go to pick up the laundry that I was too lazy to get last night.
Laundromat is on fire. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,609 Posts
It just keeps getting better and better:whistling

Roof leak over a bath - still raining. Roofer can't get to it until Friday (I don't do membrane). Drop the ceiling tomorrow or Friday, pull out the insulation, get it dried, insulate, put a new ceiling in, paint. Stuff stacking up now pretty badly:blink:

·
Young-Guy Framer
551 Posts
I didn't even make it to 2:30….

Show up to snap out lines on the subfloor. Everything covered in snow. Now big deal, we'll just shovel it off. After about an hour of shovelling, there's more snow on the subfloor than there was at the start of the day. Line's clearly are not getting snapped. After about another hour of fighting a losing battle, we called it a day. Was home by 10:30.

That's a Manitoba winter for you right there….

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Drove out to meet a contractor, he was going to show me how they install the Styrofoam/drywallpaper covered crown. (??)

Anyway I get there, he's got a single tilt 8" hitachi. He hasn't done crown in years, and boy it showed. He asked "how to" and I tried to show him, attempted to convince him to cut it nested - but alas, it was a fail.

Then I showed him how to use the bosch miter finder. hmmmmmmm

bout 4 hours of that and I gave up, figured that he wasn't going to be able to show me anything different on this crown from regular crown. It's installed with drywall mud instead of nails.

Came home called the GC I worked for last week, said the check didn't arrive, he said no problem I will email the funds to you, should be there in about an hour. Three hours ago.......

Went to the mall with my wife, zoo central! forgot that it's a black Friday shopping day -

Home now, gotta beer and some nachos. Me and the dog are gonna channel surf till we find a football game :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts