Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why a home would have a crack in the brick that runs thru the actual brick as opposed to the cracking just along the mortar line? This house has a little bit of both, but its not as bad as some of the other homes Ive seen.
Also is it strange that the brick cracks in both directions in the same area?

This home had some movement and the foundation people told them they had some water leaks, they ended up replacing all the sewer and water lines under the house. They waited a year for that to settle and then had their foundation repaired.

Since the foundation repair, (several years) This is some of the damage they have endured.

Its a concrete slab, with perimeter piers... The plumber said the house has a chilli bowl effect due to the piers only being on the perimeter.

I have more pics if that would help, I have learned to identify the problems on a roof by assessing the damage however, foundation is not my cup of tea so I thought Id post it here and see what yal had to say about it.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
Remodel
30,133 Posts
Cracking through a brick just means the mortar and brick strengths are matched pretty well. Cracks just follow the weakest point for stress relief, so it can zig zag and switch back - it's just telling you that this mortar bond was weaker than the other.

The problem with repairing the foundation too soon after repairing the pipes is all that crappy expansive clay you have is still wet. It can take a really long time to dry out under a slab after something like that, depending on what's underneath. I know some of the areas around there have rock not too far down, and that doesn't perc too well.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, well I had another client that was having probs w his ins paying for his claim due to a water pipe busting between his garage and house which were only connected on the second and third floor. The garage was built on grade beam reinforced w steel and the pilings were driven into the ground 90 feet I believe. The house backs up to a cliff w a 70 foot drop and has a small creek at the bottom. You could say the builder went a lil overkill but better safe than sorry if you ask me.

The water expelled 15, 000 gallons out in 2 weeks before my customer caught it. Anyway insurance sent him a check for zero dollars and said his deductible would cover the movement in the pavers due to "upheaval of soil" but they denied responsibility for the garage breaking away from the house directly above the water leak. Anyway, 2 years later we just got word that they are going to pay out... somewhere in tbe 400, 000 $ range whoo hoo.

Since the claim was drug out for so long and the guy couldn't afford to fix it right, the falling garage pulled the rest of the house with it, buckled his mahogony floors, ripped the walls apart, pulled the second floor off the first.. its pretty crazy..

But back to my point, I took another gc out to the house with me because he is the smartest guy on the planet...and he said that the damage wasn't caused by the water leak.... even tho I think it was, my public adjuster thinks it was, the customer says it was and the insurance co admitted to the upheaval of soil....I still wanted to hear the gc out and understand why he thought what he thought. He said he'd explain it to me later but never got around to it. All he did say was something about the bricks cracking the way they did.. along the mortar line...

I don't know, I was hoping someone could fill in the blanks for me...

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify, the house I was just speaking of is not the same one in the pictures..

And just for a good laugh, the insurance companys engineer tried to tell me that he averaged the home owners water usage over the past seven years and although there was a few thousand gallons more used in the year the damage occured it still didn't mean anything.
Lol

I said we aren't talking about the average consumption of water use! THIS Was not a slow leak. Who's to say he didn't take an extra shower a week or judge how many times he watered the yard? We are talking about a 15,000 gallon spike in a few days! You're arguement is absurd! This house has stood for over 25years without a problem, suddenly 15, 000 gallons of water was released under the foundation, all of the damage is directly in line with the failure of the water pipe. His pavers look like a wave pool, and the insurance already admitted to the leak causing the damage... This client is entitled to a logical explaination of denial and this is not acceptable by any stretch.

The engineer said,...I swear to all that I love, "well I see your point, and it makes sense, but I'm still not changing my report."

Can you believe that chit? Our engineers report was completely opposite of the ins co. Go figure. And my engineer actually wrote the book on foundation repair. Like literally. TOM WHITHERSPOON. This guy is like the sigmund freud of foundation. Lol..

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
That guy really did write the book on foundation repair. Great guy to have on your side when talking with the insurance company. I pity the insurance engineer when you guys sit down together.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,275 Posts
True professional foundation repair companies are hard to find. Always review the references of past jobs and The BBB.
Not everyone here likes the BBB, or thinks they are reliable. Some just think they are nothing more than a bunch of scamming, lying, extortionist, c0ksukkers.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy, you know my hand would have a nail or screw sticking out of it..

And yes, I am not fond of the bbb. I actually wrote a pretty lengthy reply to that comment explaining why, but I decided not to post it because, no matter what I like, most people do rely heavily on the bbb.

For what its worth, most offices do force a response out of a business and try to mediate or at least force the business to recognize there is a problem.

I do know that every chapter is individually owned, like a franchise. So there are no governing rules that apply across the board. Some are bribe takers, some are not.

I was the 3rd person to complain on one business and before I even got acknowledged, the company had an A+ rating again with no complaints in the last 3 years.
No one could tell me why, so I rewrote the complaint and it was never addressed or posted. No one from that office knew anything. No one from any other office had any right to investigate. Do I think its a scam? Absolutely. Giving a biz an F rating because they no longer want to pay the fee...Giving a biz an A+ because they pay more.. that's crap. But people are uninformed about the true nature of the biz and they trust it, so??? What can you do?

Ozlo, have you worked with Tom? I have worked with him on several claims, and talked to him on the phone, but funny enough,never met him. I use him on every foundation claim. He makes me look good just because I referred him. Lol

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
No I haven't. I just looked up his credentials and books.

Foundation repair is an interest of mine. I do foundation crack injection and crystallization processes for my builders. It seems simple but there are lots of products that do different things.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Not everyone here likes the BBB, or thinks they are reliable. Some just think they are nothing more than a bunch of scamming, lying, extortionist, c0ksukkers.
They are BS....just collect registration fees.....and useless for a consumer.... I actually discount someone who relies on the fact that they are BBB.

Think about it... their business model is a conflict of interest... much like an industry regulation group.... (oh we'll regulate ourselves)... or bond rating agencies.... or Arther Anderson accounting.....

if interests/objectives are in conflict, eventually someone will violate the integrity of their "mission" for self interests.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same with all those lead services. . Red beacon, angies list etc, they don't veryfy chit about the contractors. Your guess is just as good as there's on finding a great contractor. . They say th ey check us out but they don't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts