Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boys I really think these guys from Burnham think everyone that owns and or install them is a dumb as a bag of hammers.
Too this day I have never had a Burnham gas and or oil fired steam boiler last more than 8 years, they never seem to make warranty.

To add to the mayhem, Burnham will not pay any replacement costs, they will however provide another block and or sections for the repairs.

Belive me I have installed so many of these pieces of $hit and had to replace almost as many on my own warrenty program.

Now Keyspan is using Burnham as a new service type boiler, you know the free ones homeowners get with a new gas line.

Any of you guys had problems with burnham steam systems.

Bjd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Burnham boilers

Responding to an old posting just received on a Burnham search. My Burnham V88 leaked after 2 1/2 years. Burnham replaced the iron and gave only $800 for labor, costing me another $1650. Later found Burnham has had problems. Will not recommend Burnham to anyone.:furious:

·
HVAC Tech, NATE certified
60 Posts
weil mclain or lennox are my favorites. relatively low maint. and reliable. Vaillant too.

·
Dr Heat
516 Posts
weil mclain:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
burnham boilers

I have installed burnham boilers and they dont last 10 years and to get warranty is the most difficult in the trade and I will never install another one. The company tries their best to always pass off the warranty claims on the contractor or homeowner.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gentlemen, Burnham fiesta. Need I say more? :thumbsup:

Weil Mclain
HB Smith
Peerless
Utica
Energy Kinetics System 2000
ThermoPride
Ruud \Rheem

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have several accounts with Burnham boilers that range from 5 years to 13 years. I haven't had any problems with the boilers, i have had control issues though. Once the boiler is set-up correctly and you put an analyzer on it to check for efficiency you shouldn't have a problem as long as you pm it annually. Leaks are usually caused by problems related to water treatment, right!?! Here in Va we have a fairly nuetral ph. but we still run additives in the system loop to prevent corrosion and preserve the integrity of the boiler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Burnham boilers

Found this sight by accident. Wish I could say same for Burnham. Replaced a leaking V7 steam with a V8 back in 2001. V7 was 9 yrs. old. Customer had 2 boilers in house. His and his tennants. Replaced first boiler in 2001, second in 2003. Fast forward to Oct. 2009. Got a call for smoke coming from chimney and water feeding continuously on tennants boiler, also a V8. Serviced the boiler and smoking stopped. Looked at other boiler and in 30 yrs. have never seen anything like it. Took top off and the cast was completely corroded. After I cleared the loose stuff off you could actually see the water in the boiler. Called Burnham and they didn't even seem surprised. Some excuse about chemicals in water were attacking the cast like a cancer. Didn't even want to see the damage. As of this writing I am waiting for the repacement (mega steam). It's been over a week. Two days ago I got another call from the customer, smoke coming from the chimney. Not black but white. I went and opened up the boiler with the top off and guess what. Leaking like a sieve. This one I installed in 2003 replacing a 30 steam that was still running problem free. Monday I now have to call Burnham again for another replacement and I haven't even got the first yet. To end this tale of woe I should mention of all the boilers I have installed, these two are in my brothers house. Looking forward to a happy family holiday. Thank you for letting me vent. Obviously, no more Burnhams.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
Funny thing with Burnham is that around 15-20 years ago, their distributors were giving their boilers away for free to contractors here, just to get their brand established in the area.
Needless to say, they were considered contractor grade... meaning cheap.

I actually still have one of their older 80% oil fired dry-bottom models with a tankless in my house. I think it was installed around 1993 or ‘94, so replacement has been on the "to do" list for a while now. :whistling

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mixing steam and hydronic boiler reviews gets a little complicated. Like condensing boilers, steam boilers can be very installation sensitive. Steam boilers must be installed and maintained (chemicals) or the boiler will die in a hurry, regardless of manufacturer.

I have installed the latest Burnham Alpine condensing boilers and even their new ES-2 "mid" efficiency cast iron boiler (I do very few atmospherics, but this one has a plug-in outdoor reset and fit the my customer's budget). I was impressed with both and haven't had problems with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Burnham's new boilers are fine. As I understand it they changed the manufacturing process and models because the V-series leaked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love installing and servicing Burnham. I actually prefer them over Weil Mclain. And their service after the installation is second to none.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I could tell you stories about all the boiler manufacturers - foreign and domestic. But I won't, since all would be anecdotal. It really comes down to the local support and the quality of the installation.

I have found that most boiler problems are self-inflected.

·
Dr Heat
516 Posts
[I have found that most boiler problems are self-inflected.[/QUOTE]

by the boiler or the insaller?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts