Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new home, stuccoed, where the exterior outlets don't work. The electrician thinks there is an outlet buried behind the paper, wire and stucco, so it would never have been connected.

The interior is finished and occupied, the exterior is finished. Electrician thinks he has an approximate location.

Solution 1 is to cut open the interior, find the outlet, patch and paint exterior.

I'd love to find a way to (reliably) locate the electrical box from the outside, but I can't think of how.

Any suggestions?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It'll work as long as the box is tight to the rock. If it favors the exterior you might not.
Still works, tone from the branch with one lead on ground, then switch to LandN to home in on it.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Still works, tone from the branch with one lead on ground, then switch to LandN to home in on it.
That's why I said might not. I've been off by quite a bit when the leg took a turn or came to far off the interior wall.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That's why I said might not. I've been off by quite a bit when the leg took a turn or came to far off the interior wall.
That's what separates the boys from the men.

The wires tone the loudest at the ends.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,937 Posts
If the circuit breakers are properly identified, it should be relatively easy to pinpoint the bad location. Track a tone from the panel, then track a tone from the outlets. You would lose it at the same place--if there's only one missing connection.

That should be a no-brainer for an electrician.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If the circuit breakers are properly identified, it should be relatively easy to pinpoint the bad location. Track a tone from the panel, then track a tone from the outlets. You would lose it at the same place--if there's only one missing connection.

That should be a no-brainer for an electrician.
Most electricians have to borrow a toner from an alarm installer first. :whistling

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,679 Posts
Most electricians have to borrow a toner from an alarm installer first. :whistling
Real electricians don't use weenie-wire tone sets.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Tone it. I would still cut the rock to find it's exact location (if it's a buried box). Easier to repair/match than stucco.

Real electricians don't use weenie-wire tone sets.
Hell no they don't. They use a sawzall with a 30" blade, a sledgehammer, and a Bobcat. "Yeah, we found it" :laughing:

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Tone it. I would still cut the rock to find it's exact location (if it's a buried box). Easier to repair/match than stucco.

Hell no they don't. They use a sawzall with a 30" blade, a sledgehammer, and a Bobcat. "Yeah, we found it" :laughing:
Yeah I let my old electrician locate something once. He bashed the drywall in with my framing hammer until he found it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,679 Posts
..Hell no they don't. They use a sawzall with a 30" blade, a sledgehammer, and a Bobcat. "Yeah, we found it" :laughing:

No. We use Cat D9s, not wimpy little Bobcats.

Reactions: 66 Shelby

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
In all seriousness, if you use that toner, please make sure that the breaker is off. I've already lost 2 toners that I loaned out to a sparky who thought it worked the same way as the plug-in circuit finder tool (that requires the breaker to be on) only to discover that was a bad idea the moment that the 9-volt battery exploded.

Fortunately neither guy got hurt but I imagine that it would not have been good had the guy been holding it close to his head or another sensitive part of his body.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts