Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am building a small treehouse bunkie (12x12) and am trying to decide on roof design. I want to build it with a half loft as well so decided on a gable 12:12 roof for extra head space when up there. My main dilemma is to have the loft looking out of a large window. How can I support a ridge beam without a post at one end (due to large window)? If that is not possible, would a ridge board roof have adequate bearing wall horizontal support with ceiling rafters for just half the roof, i.e. vaulted ceiling for half the bunkie? I've attached drawings if this doesn't make any sense...

Attachments

·
Design Build
Fmr Framer now Home Designer
5,316 Posts
Hey Adam

This site is for actual contractors....so typically you would know this...unless your specialty is in another trade. Since this is your first Post...kinda makes me suspicious.

You need to support a structural ridge at both ends. Cantilevering a structural ridge is something an engineer can figure out for you if its possible. Do two split windows with a post between or make it one rectangular window with a sufficient header over it to carry the load out over the sides of the window.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You use the terms ridge beam and board ... apples snd oranges. Beam needs to be supported at both ends, a board is just a way to keep the ends of the rafter aligned. Use a rafter design that doesn’t need a beam, and use collar ties to keep the walls from splaying.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Adam

This site is for actual contractors....so typically you would know this...unless your specialty is in another trade. Since this is your first Post...kinda makes me suspicious.

You need to support a structural ridge at both ends. Cantilevering a structural ridge is something an engineer can figure out for you if its possible. Do two split windows with a post between or make it one rectangular window with a sufficient header over it to carry the load out over the sides of the window.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the response. You answered my question about the ridge beam, but it's my understanding that a ridge board is not structural, only a means for the rafters to join. Hence why I asked about the ceiling rafters extending only half way. Anyways, I decided I'd rather have the large triangular window with exposed ceiling rafters, than a structural ridge with split or rectangular windows.

And no I'm not a contractor by profession, but that doesn't mean I can't ask questions does it?

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You use the terms ridge beam and board ... apples snd oranges. Beam needs to be supported at both ends, a board is just a way to keep the ends of the rafter aligned. Use a rafter design that doesn’t need a beam, and use collar ties to keep the walls from splaying.
Ya I understand they're completely different. Was just saying those are my two options and wondered if there was a way to do a beam without centred end support. Then I said "if not" a ridge board design would be my next approach. Collar ties would impede the view from the loft hence my question about rafter ties....

·
Design Build
Fmr Framer now Home Designer
5,316 Posts
How do you plan on keeping the walls from bowing out. The loft will probably be enough.....12' x 12' and all, but you are on a professional site asking about a tree house shed. Do what you think works and have fun. I think your drawings show you have figured this out already.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,378 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.