Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 21'x17' studio in a high rise. Had problems with the building's pipes, the convector leaked (this was 2nd time), carpet got wet and it got a stinky mold problem, the bldg replaced many wooden (ugly) tiles and apparently fixed the pipes. So now I want to get rid of the carpet (no stink now it's gross) and put down "Lam" as you guys affectionally call it. I've been looking @ iFloor.com. Questions:

1 - What's the deal with the underlayment - need that nice thick cork $1.20/ft business? Is that a rip off or is the cheaper 3mm stuff okay. I have allergies to mold and there's the possibility of another water leak.

2 - Say I put the lam over the existing ugly tiles. It looks pretty flat to me. Must I buy a long level and check the place before I begin? If it's a little off in places, what's the best way to adjust it for a do-it-yourselfer?

3 - Got a few samples from iFloor, the Wilson Classic Carolina Ash was nice and shiny. What is comparable, still a bit shiny, and of course cheaper? OF course I want it all (price + quality)

4 - Base boards - okay to just to the base boards or do I also need to use the rounded square thing?

Naz

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Under #1 you state that there is a possibility of another water leak. Stay with tile or stone and some rugs.
Wood and laminates react very poorly when subjected to water. I would suggest that you address your water problem first and come back after that is resolved.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
better underlayment makes it more comfy and helps with sound. Do you need it? not sure, it's up to you.

level the tiles until it is FLAT.

your not gonna beat out a high pressure like wilsonart. If you want cheaper, that's what your gonna get. Your already saving by buying online, so stick with high end manufacturers if you want quality.

remove baseboards, install lam, put baseboards back. forget about quarter rounds unless you like the look. But I would save the money and not buy quarter rounds, and then dump that money into the laminate quality.

make sure leaks are fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts