Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bulls**t (Insurance)

One of my buddies company just started using Service Magic.

Well he got insurance and he is paying $1600 a month here in Dallas.

So he sets up his account and he goes to add more lead preferences to his account. They say he cant add because he isnt covered for the work.

He can only do: Kitchen Remodel
Garage Remodel
Bathroom Remodel

Is his ins. company screwing him over?

What do you have to be covered to do work in other categories.

Thanks,
Cole McConnell

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
As far as I can say he is gettin screwed. Well I guess it depends on how many people he has working for him as well. I have a million dollar policy which includes theft or accidental loss of equipment and I pay a bit over $500a year in Wisconsin for masonry work. That is just for me. If I were to add people to that it would be about $450 per person a year.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Totally getting screwed. For what he pays a month I can have me and another guy for a year excluding working on over 7 homes per tract. Oh that is 1mil/2mil coverage.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I thought you were talking about Service Magic screwing him, which are you talking about SM or his insurance company.

SM wants to market themselves as only using reputable contractors, that's part of the gimick of consumers using them, its better to use them then just pick blindly out of the yellow pages. They are trying to screen for their customers by having requirements on their contrators via insurance requirements.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Don't get me started on SM!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I see, well I don't like the issue of insurance companies specifying what you can and cannot do, but when I realize the alternative is to pay $250,000 a year for blanket insurance that lets me do everything from building a bird house to blasting rock next to the White House, then I see the alternative of just paying for what I am going to be doing as a good alternative.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I think his insurance company is screwing him over, but not sure why SM was brough up then again I barely read the topic only scanned.

I never had a problem with SM saying I couldn't do something, unless a license was involved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts