Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im needing some tile help. I am a remodeler and an interior trimmer finishing a friends basement. I agreed to do the bathroom tile work when the plan was for a basic layout and shower pan. Somehow the plan turned into a poured pan neo angle shower with half walls where the side shower panels would go. Im using a 12x24 tile and there are 3x12 bullnose tiles. Please forgive my newbie question. Im not a tile setter. I am trying to figure out the bullnose layout. The half walls are 2x4 so if I use the bull nose at the top they would be butted back to back with a grout line in the middle. The line would most likely be hidden by the shower glass track except on the sides of the walls and the curb at the door. The other option would be run the bullnose on the inner and outer sides of the walls with a regular tile cut to size for the top. This option would leave two grout lines visible at the top but they wouldnt be in the center. Can someone please tell me the proper way to finish these walls? I don't want to make a stupid mistake and I know you guys know your stuff. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any pictures. If you imagine a typical neo angle shower. It would be backed into the corner and you would have full length glass panels on the right and left and then a glass door at the center. A three piece glass set up. What I am doing instead is to use tiled half walls and just using glass on the top of those with a full size glass door. They wanted a corner bench and that's why I have the half walls. Ive seen people use granite to cap the walls and the curb but they don't want that. I just don't know if its normall to use back to back bullnose tiles at the top of the walls and curb or do I use the bullnose on the wall and cut a tile for the top. Either way I have to miter tiles to switch directions. I just don't know what is correct.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Since you are not an experienced tile setter I would say using the bullnose on the walls and the cut piece on the top would be safer. You need to pitch the top in towards the shower so the water will drain and it can get a bit tricky to line up a double bullnose cap to be perfectly straight for the glass and pitched for the water.

Using stone threshold would be much safer and easier.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I know what you are trying to accomplish. At the least use a single piece at the curb. It will look like chit if its made up of 17 pieces of tile. Next time spend a little more time on the design before you present it to the client. You will save time money and frustration in the end.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
Why not use a schluter edge and inset a full piece on top?

But if you want to do it with bullnose, presumably the grout is similar tone? If so, back to back on top so edge sits on top of wall tile. Sometimes you have to split the middle area and inset with a cut piece. This works mostly when the grout is not contrasting. Still, you're using an old-school method with large format tile - kind of mixed up.

Or maybe a full piece sits on top, then just grout the edge. Smooth edge with a stone, first. Still, it's not a finished look. Or maybe you can score and snap for a sharper edge. Depends what you're working with.

Might want to take a couple pieces to the tile shop and get first-hand opinion.

Pics would be great here. Shots in the dark, otherwise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I hate bullnose as well, one reason bein exactly what you are talking about. They add tons of grout lines and sometimes they don't even line up with the rest. I use the stainless Schluter strips or even the oil rubbed bronze color finish for some they are just more expensive. It allows for more control. However if they want bullnose then you are kinda stuck. I would opt for going with the two outside edge grout lines instead of the one in the middle. It looks cleaner that way. If you have a travertine or natural stone tile that's solid and not a print so to speak you can even 45' your own bullnose. Or you go with a stone, marble or corian curbs. I did that on my last job with half walls. Home Depot even sells some varieties in 48" and 60" lengths in varying widths if you don't have access to a specialty tile distributor.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The stone threshold idea would probably be best for your situation. Schluter profiles are good too. For a couple hundred bucks you could order a bull nose bit and some diamond grit sanding pads from contractors direct. Ive got one that I use sometimes to make any custom piece I need. http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Profile-Cup-Wheels/Edgeright-Profiler
Another thought if you don't want to drop the dough on a bullnose bit and setup. Some glass shops and tile distributors will put a bullnose edge on tile for you for a fee. I know there is a glass shop in my town that does it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The half walls are 2x4 so if I use the bull nose at the top they would be butted back to back with a grout line in the middle. The line would most likely be hidden by the shower glass track except on the sides of the walls and the curb at the door.
:thumbsup:

Make sure the curb is the width of the two bullnose pieces keeping in mind you're going to cover the side pieces. So rough curb width is the width of bullnose plus one joint minus the two side curb tiles + their thinset.

But with a 12x24 tile it's probably porcelain tile. You can eliminated the bullnose tile and use the field tile as the top; cut to overhang the side tiles 3/8". The edge you either polish with heavy grit polishing pad to round the edge a bit or take your grinder and lightly touch the edge to round and then polish. You might want to practice on a cut off tile. Then center the top tile pieces and make sure it pitches to interior.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Almost all ceramic tiles will have a matching bullnose. Most of the time the bullnosed edge is "painted" a matching color. This is how it was explained to me.On the last bathroom I did we just left the edge untreated and it worked out well.
I dont believe this to be true at all. I have installed loads of ceramic in which no bullnose was available.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the customer is picking out tile at lowes or Home Depot only about 30% of their selection has matching bullnose, the rest you're on your own with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts