Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a news article today that was saying fuel prices are likely to continue to rise this year. We are currently at 1.40/L and they expect 1.65/L in this spring.

Its got me thinking that maybe buying a large tank and getting fuel delivered might make financial sense.
I already buy my fuel from the UFA card lock and save around 15cent off regular station but if I could buy enough to last 6months I could be saving 40cents.

anyone have experience with this?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
7,182 Posts
Built this up at the ranch a couple years ago.

Plant Tree Shade Leisure Public space

Building Sky Plant Shade Road surface

Shade Wood Plant Sky Outdoor furniture

We save a little on getting it delivered, not huge though.

However, we love having the security of having a month or more worth of fuel sitting up there.

If there should be any kind of collapse or major slowdown, and we just holed up at the ranch 😳🤣, it would last more than a year probably.

Im actually adding another 1000 gallon tank to it. Just talked to the supplier about it today. 👍

Gasoline should last a year or so. And you can add stabilizers to it as well.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I put a 90 some gal aux tank in my diesel ram. Like to keep it stocked in case of a hiccup in the supply chain. Also allows me to go without filling up for a while if prices are exceptionally high.
Would definitely get a larger farm style tank on the property if I was sure we wouldn't be moving in the next year or two.
Also keep about 50 gallons of unleaded in 5 to 20 gal containers on hand. Ethanol free, and cycle it through the mower throughout the year. If it gets too old I'll fill up the gas trucks and refill the containers with fresh.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

View attachment 521711

View attachment 521712

View attachment 521713

However, we love having the security of having a month or more worth of fuel sitting up there.

If there should be any kind of collapse or major slowdown, and we just holed up at the ranch 😳🤣, it would last more than a year probably.

Im actually adding another 1000 gallon tank to it. Just talked to the supplier about it today. 👍

How big are those tanks?
Did they have any requirements for site prep for the tank

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
7,182 Posts
Right now I have a 1000 gallon with unleaded, 500 gallons of Highway diesel , and 350 of red diesel.

Im adding another 1000 of unleaded. All the generators, plows, chainsaws, small farm equipment, all runs on regular.

Skid steer, mini ex, and tell-handler don’t use that much diesel, so 850 gallons is alright.

I built the structure to meet EPA guidelines for onsite fuel storage.

The containment will hold about 110% of the total fuel in all three tanks.

It’s covered so rain will not get into the containment and become contaminated.

System is grounded for static discharge.

Massive fire extinguisher mounted on the post.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts

View attachment 521711

View attachment 521712

View attachment 521713

If there should be any kind of collapse or major slowdown, and we just holed up at the ranch , it would last more than a year probably.

Im actually adding another 1000 gallon tank to it. Just talked to the supplier about it today.

Is that free standing?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts

View attachment 521711

View attachment 521712

View attachment 521713

I'm not a jealous man, but...

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
If I owned my shop instead of leasing, I would have a thousand gallons of diesel onsite in a heartbeat. It would save a lot of time farting around at the fuel stations, plus, if the quality is poor, you have a single source to hold accountable. Call your sales rep and tell him the fuel is crappy or whatever. Plus I could treat the whole tank with cetane boosters, antigel, or whatever, if I happened to think it needed those and my supplier wasn't doing it. I don't think I'd save any money though.

Zombie apocalypse advantages are obvious.

·
Registered
Remodel
33,012 Posts
In the long term, it's the seasonal price swings that you'd save money on fuel.

I considered doing that with #2 fuel oil, but an installed tank would have cost me ~$3 a gallon. The pay back period just wasn't decent.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Looks like they are just anchored with post bases? Not dogging it, as I've done a few that way. Lots of knee braces and mine wasn't that big.

Just wondering how sturdy it is.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
7,182 Posts
Looks like they are just anchored with post bases? Not dogging it, as I've done a few that way. Lots of knee braces and mine wasn't that big.

Just wondering how sturdy it is.

Yes that’s correct. It’s solid as $)(t, but I wouldn’t go much bigger than that without an engineer.

My engineer was saying it gets tricky putting those posts on a wall like that. Said it’s fine for the size it is.

I couldn’t figure out a good way to do the concrete containment, and not put the posts on the wall.

It’s been through some ass-kicker wind storms, and those posts are dead nuts plumb. Haven’t moved a bit. 👍

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Why not contract "x" gallons a year? That's what i did. I like fresh fuel.

Don't store bio diesel for any extended period...better yet, don't buy bio diesel

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I only had 600 gallons of storage on a skid we could move from site to site, or in winter, just set on slab next to shop.

Local fire chief told me I needed no containment because it was considered portable.

Our supplier would come to jobsites when needed, top off equipment and 600 gallon tank.

Winter months, we would just call him when needed, and he came to shop and fill tank.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
I ran into a guy at a service station that had a plastic fuel skid in the back of his truck that he was delivering to a job. I can't find the pic but it was handy looking. He said he got it from Northern Tool but I can't find it on their site.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts