Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this forum is great. Thanks for the tips I have learned from just reading, priceless.
I am new to this crown molding, but from my limited experience I know that primed MDF is not the friendliest to hang by myself, so for this new job I am going to go with real wood, and look for it to be easier to mount solo.
That being said the client has expressed interest in having a stain finish. My reservation with staining is concealing my imperfections in inside corners. Should I just convince her to have me paint it-that way I can fill the gaps with elmers wood putty and touch it up, OR cut,stain, and deal with gaps as they come(putty and touch up) I know this would leave me with the possibility of mismatched color. I think I answered my own question, but insight would be good.
The title of my post is really this-instead of using crown, should I build up a ceiling molding with 3 seperate pieces(flat,cove,etc) Seems like more work, but possibly better finished product.
As far as the 1/32 inch gap between the molding and the ceiling/wall do you guys caulk that or paint it?
Lastly is there a web resource where I can get some visuals of finished ceiling molding designs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
cstiltzcook said:
First off, this forum is great. Thanks for the tips I have learned from just reading, priceless.
I am new to this crown molding, but from my limited experience I know that primed MDF is not the friendliest to hang by myself, so for this new job I am going to go with real wood, and look for it to be easier to mount solo.
That being said the client has expressed interest in having a stain finish. My reservation with staining is concealing my imperfections in inside corners. Should I just convince her to have me paint it-that way I can fill the gaps with elmers wood putty and touch it up, OR cut,stain, and deal with gaps as they come(putty and touch up) I know this would leave me with the possibility of mismatched color. I think I answered my own question, but insight would be good.
The title of my post is really this-instead of using crown, should I build up a ceiling molding with 3 seperate pieces(flat,cove,etc) Seems like more work, but possibly better finished product.
As far as the 1/32 inch gap between the molding and the ceiling/wall do you guys caulk that or paint it?
Lastly is there a web resource where I can get some visuals of finished ceiling molding designs.
I charge 30% more for stain grade. Cope everthing! I dont use wood fill even the stainable kind, I stain first then use a blend fill pencil then laquer.
Use a lighter to make soft then apply. 3 seperate trims sounds like a waste of time and material. You probably already know this but use crown stops Im allways using my makita 10 inch slide the fence isnt tall enough to stand the crown up so I allways lay it down. Allso if your doing allota crown by your self you could use one of those helping hand jacks.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I wouldn't give up MDF just becaues it is 'floppy' and hard to work with solo. There are way too many benefits vs wood if you are going to be painting it.

Do a search here and on the internet for "fast cap third hand" I think if you buy a couple you will be back to appreciating MDF again. I think it would be possible to say that using a device like that has some benefits even over the ease of having a second person help you.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Built up moulding are usually different from angled crown in that the majority of their surfaces are on the same plane as the wall, (base, detail, feature, tie in is angled) as a general rule.
As cptm always copes, I was always taught to miter. Old school vs. new I suppose. I find straight cuts faster than cutting a profile.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have yet to find a coped joint in a home built prior to the '40's but they are prevalent in 50's and up homes. Possibly it's a reflection of the post WWII population boom and the influx of out-of-state carpenters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3rd hand is great

Update since my original post-

Back to MDF-and paint before I hang it. Also picked up 2 fastcap tools. Amazing simple gadget. I like buying 2 of these tools instead of paying a helper. Muchas gracias.

Patrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts