Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're on a job right now and part of it is to re-do a small ensuite. Typical subdivision stuff, tile on mesh 1/4" thick. My apprentice, not knowing any better says "why not just use 1/4" cement board?"

Well, that started it, poor guy, all the way home I'm telling him about all the **** out there, and that I'm not going to be a part of it. I want to construct buildings and renos that will last a LONG time.

Buildings, at least 100yrs. Renos are somewhat controlled by the amount of money the client has to spend. But using the tile as an example, if it isn't going to last 30-40 yrs. then I'm not doing it.

It seems every day someone is coming up with some fast, easy way/material to do the job cheaper. Most of this stuff is designed to last a few years at best I think. It's an ongoing battle to convince the HO to spend the money to do a job that will last.

Ok, so how long are you building for ?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You might want to look into Hardie products. http://www.jameshardie.com/index.html It's what I'm using on my personal outbuildings, it also meets the Miami-Dade high velocity wind codes.

Sometimes shortcuts get you into trouble. Othertimes advancements can be overlooked. At least your apprentice seems to be on top of things and offered an opinion, sounds like you have a winner.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Um, yes it sounds like you have a real problem with that apprentice, it will only get worse over time.

You better send him down here for remedial training straight away :whistling

1 - 5 of 5 Posts