Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats goin on guys? im 17 and am planning on getting into the building business, and have some questions if you guys dont mind answering. Within the next year i plan on going to BOCES(tech school) for construction. What kind of college classes should i take after and where should i start? Also i have been looking for a textbook for residential construction and came across http://search.barnesandnoble.com/te...serid=O9t1JGTwIU&isbn=007822702X&TXT=Y&itm=13 anybody know if this is a good book,or can recommend any other books? Im mainly looking for something with Framing,siding,windows doors, and other basic stuff. Thanks for any information guys.

Mike

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I tell everyone to visit their local builders association. They will know everything about your area (needs, requirements, etc.) and invite you to their next function where you can mingle and ask questions of those that are actually doing it.
In college, shoot for business courses. It will make life much easier in the future. My degrees are in engineering and when I went out on my own I quickly learned that I had some major deficiencies when it came to business. I also learned that it's a lot harder to go back to school when you're older.

·
Registered
118 Posts
building !...

Teetorbilt
very good responce, right on the money. I deal with a lot of very good contractors but---- very bad business men, again you were on with the responce

al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts