Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in January I moved to the small town of Farwell Texas. Now that I have a little free time Ive ripped out the front porch of my house and plan on putting a circle drive from one road to the other (I live on a corner lot). Yesterday I was approached by a city council member and asked if I pulled a permit. After asking questions I discovered in the city of Farwell you have to have a permit for exterior concrete which I have never heard of before in any city or state I have done work in. The cost of the permit is $150 plus a $200 deposit once work is completed the deposit is returned. Has any one heard of anything like this before. I've never seen an inspector for exterior concrete, only for footings. That's part of the reason for a permit is so the work can be inspected. The city of Farwell does not have inspectors nor does it require any building inspections to be done. I think it's just a way for the city to try to make a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
City Council members are just pols with no legal powers. Go on with your business and work, and let the city approach you for permits or fees.

Ignore the pol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The funniest part about it was the fact that she is my "neighbor" she lives behind me across the alley. She walked up and used her old lady charm. She said "oh you must be the new neighbor sorry we never came by to introduce our selves". Chatted for a minute then ask what I was doing to the house then brings up the permit thing. Then when she leaves she goes "if you ever need anything come by". I thought what a nice old lady. Then about an hour later was like " I've lived here for 6 months and when she can make money off of me she introduces her self ". :/

·
GC/carpenter
43,609 Posts
The funniest part about it was the fact that she is my "neighbor" she lives behind me across the alley. She walked up and used her old lady charm. She said "oh you must be the new neighbor sorry we never came by to introduce our selves". Chatted for a minute then ask what I was doing to the house then brings up the permit thing. Then when she leaves she goes "if you ever need anything come by". I thought what a nice old lady. Then about an hour later was like " I've lived here for 6 months and when she can make money off of me she introduces her self ". :/
Because its exterior concrete doesn't usually have anything to do with it. What matters in a lot of jurisdictions is how high it is, does it need rails, is it a means of egress, or is it structural, etc. The only concrete work around here that really doesn't need a permit is flat work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Because its exterior concrete doesn't usually have anything to do with it. What matters in a lot of jurisdictions is how high it is, does it need rails, is it a means of egress, or is it structural, etc. The only concrete work around here that really doesn't need a permit is flat work.
Sorry what I meant by exterior work was just flat work (driveways, porches, and sidewalk). Im doing a circle drive way and a porch. I called a contractor I know who lives there and he gave me some information on the whole matter. They started doing permits on any work (even fences) because some residents would start projects and never complete them. So they take the money for the permit that strictly goes to the city and if you don't complete your work then they keep the deposit. That is the only purpose for the permits. They have no inspectors there, they have the only police officer also handle checking if people have permits and checking if the jobs get completed. I think it's crazy. I understand their thought on it but it reminds me of school. One or two kids did something bad so the entire class is punished.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Just pay up the $150 and finish your project. I get the deposit thing to get people to finish their projects. My dad would be f'ed if that was how it went in his town.

·
Kowboy
2,352 Posts
Brock029:

I have little sympathy for those who start projects without checking local laws first. You have an obligation to do the speed limit when driving, whether it's posted or not. Same here.

First order of business is to check whether or not you can legally access each street. I found out the vacant lot next to me had a restriction against doing so. The township told you how you would get to your property.

Secondly, check to see if a permit is required or not. Maybe your neighbor doesn't have her facts straight.

Thirdly, give your neighbor the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she was just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I had to get a permit to rake the leaves in my yard, and put down a hefty deposit.

I willingly complied. It seems some bad guys were raking their leaves into piles and letting them blow away.

I put all mine into the back of my truck and when I came back home, they were all gone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brock029:

I have little sympathy for those who start projects without checking local laws first. You have an obligation to do the speed limit when driving, whether it's posted or not. Same here.

First order of business is to check whether or not you can legally access each street. I found out the vacant lot next to me had a restriction against doing so. The township told you how you would get to your property.

Secondly, check to see if a permit is required or not. Maybe your neighbor doesn't have her facts straight.

Thirdly, give your neighbor the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she was just trying to be helpful.
The funny thing is I've been calling for the last two months trying to figure out if I needed a permit and had a few other questions and who ever it was I was supposed to talk to was never there.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Brock029:

IMHO,municipalities are getting totally out of hand. Pretty soon,you will need a permit to wash your windows.

The "friendly" neighbor woman reminds me of the movie line "I'M from the federal government,I'M here to help.

For basic care and maintenance and non life threatening improvements why should we have to ask permission from the government?

What we all need is larger government with more of their intervention,under the guise "they are protecting us"

Humbug !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Police stopped by last night and said he got a complaint about me not having a permit. So after chatting for a minute he said "I don't even know if I'm a cop anymore they have me doing city ordinance work, animal control, and 5 other jobs I don't remember.

I got the permit today and asked for a copy of the ordinance. No where on the ordinance does it say a permit is required for flatwork. But a permit is required for curb cuts so this time I'll let it slide. When I do my sidewalk and back porch I'm not going to bother with it.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Seems like your new driveway would have an apron on public right of way. Would be surprised if you didn't need more than a permit fee to install there.
Here in my area if you have a county road you have to get approval from the county to have the access and you have to have the apron done to the specs that the county road dept. specifies.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If my township was holding onto $200 for every project I've got started and not finished they would have more equity in my house than I do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts