Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked to dress up an existing concrete porch with bluestone and thinstone risers.
Question is, I have to build out the face of the wall to even out with the overhang of the deck. I would just saw it off, but there are columns coming right out to the edge.
Should I glue foam to it then Tapcon wire over everything right into the crete? The overhang is about 1.5"

·
Registered
502 Posts
How far out does stone finish? Wouldn't the over hang work to your advantage as a natural drip edge? I would think porch is sloped to let water run off. Versus trying to finish stone flush with concrete at the top. Just a thought would look odd to see thin edge stone flush with slab.

·
Registered
677 Posts
How about forming it the area that needs build out and pouring a very wet concrete mix, you could remove the forms then pack the top with non shrink grout. Use tap cons to tie into the existing.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Hard to tell without looking at it, but I would dig down and pour a 4" shelf, veneer it with soaps and then veneer it with thin stone.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Yeah, S.U.M. summed it up nicely, and is exactly how i would go about it, or maybe an angle iron,
picts would help me since I'm never sure what is being asked

·
Registered
414 Posts
He doesn't need an angle iron it's thinsone. He needs to pad it out to match te band on the top.
I would definitely not do it out of concrete. Gotta be padded out with wood, pressure treated would probably be best

·
Registered
677 Posts
brunothedog said:
Yeah, S.U.M. summed it up nicely, and is exactly how i would go about it, or maybe an angle iron, picts would help me since I'm never sure what is being asked
Yeah the angle iron might be a good option instead of digging down and doing a new foundation like JBM said, would need to be a really solid base to support the weight, slice a 4" block to build out or some left over brick to build out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sounds like he is just using thin stone on risers? Let's all remember the angle even if galvanized won't last 100 years or to infinity? And yes a photo would take out most of guess work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not my project but I'd assume the top of te porch will be finished with bluestone and the risers and face f the porch are a natural thinsone which is glued to the surface and has zero need for an angle iron because there is no bearing load to be supprted

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll get some pics today. Yes, just needs to hold up about 12" of thinstone. Then bluestone will go over and create a new overhang. No need to dig to footing. Just needs to support a small section of thinstone. Either foam or PT . Didn't think of that.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Two layers of 5/8'' CB . Comes in 4'x8' sheets . Kamco building supplies stocks it or any well stocked commercial building supply house .

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
I've been asked to dress up an existing concrete porch with bluestone and thinstone risers.
Question is, I have to build out the face of the wall to even out with the overhang of the deck. I would just saw it off, but there are columns coming right out to the edge.
Should I glue foam to it then Tapcon wire over everything right into the crete? The overhang is about 1.5"
only 12'' I'd take dimpled wire and secure it then a 2x12 or whatever and tap use dee stakes or 2x4s vert every 6' and pour a cement pea stone behind it.......you may have to leave the form down below the lip 4'' to pour in there and add a 2x3 at the last 4'' the stuff and float the top in.

Cement board is pumice aggregate no.. it will suck in water from the gound terribly you can even pour a 1-1/2 by 12 '' slab and cut it up in 30'' lengths then mortar on and tap con them ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts