Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've been in business 30 years and only twice was asked by an inspector for a bribe, once in Los Angeles and once in Glendale. Around here, such corruption (at field inspector level) is very rare. I think all the really interesting shenanigans occur at the very highest levels.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been in business 30 years and only twice was asked by an inspector for a bribe, once in Los Angeles and once in Glendale. Around here, such corruption (at field inspector level) is very rare. I think all the really interesting shenanigans occur at the very highest levels.

Some people just don't think....what kind of return can the inspector make from a contractor...A BO can make anywhere from 75 to 115 K per year around here, full medical and a great retirement plan after 20 years in. He is jeopardizing all that for what...a few thousand dollars in cash or materials?...what a friggin moron.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you are in CT, there are things that overshadow the "union" concept. I worked with contractors(non-union and union), unions, suppliers and some friends that had names ending in "o" and "i". They all work together especially west and north of New Haven.

I knew of a supplier that had to put a $50 bill into and envelope for every load near NYC and 2- $50 bills into an envelope for loads to Long Island. - It drove the accountants and auditors crazy!!

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I agree. I have actually been asked repeatedly, but by the same guy. It was on a school project. He would come out to the site, come in the office trailer, rub is two fingers and thumb together and say "you know, I collect pictures of dead presidents" It might be funny the first time, but he did it day after day. I would just look at him and laugh. Then he would proceed to reject my footings because there was too much rust on the rebar or whatever we were trying to get checked off that day. Then I had to pay a $25 reinspection fee to get him to come back next day and cancel the pour. He held the job up at the end because of some wall penetrations issue he dreamed up, he didn't know a fire rated assembly from his a**hole. The guy packed a 9MM, had handcuffs hanging from his rear view mirror. Finnaly had to get the architect and school board involved to get the school opened on time. Luckily in Tenn. the state inspects schools and can pull rank on the local yokel, which is what happened here.

All that to say that was the only time that happened in my 25 years as a superintendent. Most building officials are honest and knowledgable. The honest ones won't even take a cup of coffee from you.

Sorry about the long dissertation.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree. I have actually been asked repeatedly, but by the same guy. It was on a school project. He would come out to the site, come in the office trailer, rub is two fingers and thumb together and say "you know, I collect pictures of dead presidents" It might be funny the first time, but he did it day after day. I would just look at him and laugh. Then he would proceed to reject my footings because there was too much rust on the rebar or whatever we were trying to get checked off that day. Then I had to pay a $25 reinspection fee to get him to come back next day and cancel the pour. He held the job up at the end because of some wall penetrations issue he dreamed up, he didn't know a fire rated assembly from his a**hole. The guy packed a 9MM, had handcuffs hanging from his rear view mirror. Finnaly had to get the architect and school board involved to get the school opened on time. Luckily in Tenn. the state inspects schools and can pull rank on the local yokel, which is what happened here.

All that to say that was the only time that happened in my 25 years as a superintendent. Most building officials are honest and knowledgable. The honest ones won't even take a cup of coffee from you.

Sorry about the long dissertation.
Around here the local BOs have no jurisdiction with any federial or state projects...that is all taken care of by the State Department of Public Safety, Office of the State building Inspector...which is a hard ass women...:eek:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Most is over 25% and Most government employees are civil service and are Union.

I am willing to bet this inspector is a civil servant and the union rules are what is keeping him from being fired.
All the posts on here of you grilling other people about everything under the sun and you are going to tell me that "most" is 25%?!?!?:no: Pull out the dictionary and look up the word most. I am sure you will see the phase "the majority of". Once you hit that magic number of 51% you can say most. It is amazing that someone so critical of everyone else needs something this simple explained to him:laughing:.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All the posts on here of you grilling other people about everything under the sun and you are going to tell me that "most" is 25%?!?!?:no: Pull out the dictionary and look up the word most. I am sure you will see the phase "the majority of". Once you hit that magic number of 51% you can say most. It is amazing that someone so critical of everyone else needs something this simple explained to him:laughing:.
Not necessarily...
25% of the people are drinking beer
24% of the people are drinking soda
24% of the people are drinking coffee
24% of the people are drinking tea
3% of the people are drinking wine

arn't most of the people in this group drinking beer?...

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Around here the local BOs have no jurisdiction with any federial or state projects...that is all taken care of by the State Department of Public Safety, Office of the State building Inspector...which is a hard ass women...:eek:
The school boards around here are always arguing with the local jusristictions about building inspections and permit fees. The attorney general has offered an opinion that the state has this responsibility, but the cities control the sewer and water, so if you want either you have to play along. I did a city school a few years ago and we had to include city inspection fees in the bid, the result being that the city was paying itself inspection fees, just alot of paper work for nothing. When it's the county building a school inside a city, that's when the real pissing matches start up. Ultimately the state has the final say, and most of the state inspectors I have worked with are knowledgeable, fair and honest, but firm. Which is how it should be.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Some people just don't think....what kind of return can the inspector make from a contractor...A BO can make anywhere from 75 to 115 K per year around here, full medical and a great retirement plan after 20 years in. He is jeopardizing all that for what...a few thousand dollars in cash or materials?...what a friggin moron.

A few Thousand, that is a drop in the bucket - I bet he was doing this to all contractors try 60 to 70 thousand per year. :cry:
Would you go on record saying you paid him? Risk having your project rechecked by his Corrupt partners? I don't think so! :no:
We have all seen strange things on a job site - I keep a tape recorder in my truck and use it each time I speak to an Inspector on the Job site.;)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not necessarily...
25% of the people are drinking beer
24% of the people are drinking soda
24% of the people are drinking coffee
24% of the people are drinking tea
3% of the people are drinking wine

arn't most of the people in this group drinking beer?...

Now we are talking semantics. But no most of the people are drinking something other than beer. 75% are not drinking beer. :jester:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Re read the post. I said most is over 25%.

Most Civil servants (Government Employee's) are in a union.

meaning more than 25%.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
found this little tidbit of information to add to this mix.this information is about a year old according to the website.

Membership by Industry and Occupation

The union membership rate for public sector workers (36.8 percent)
was substantially higher than the rate for private industry workers
(7.6 percent). Within the public sector, local government workers had
the highest union membership rate, 42.2 percent. This group includes
many workers in several heavily unionized occupations, such as teachers,
police officers, and fire fighters.

so you can take how you want it.
i would think the high percentage is because of the number of police,fire and teachers who are union members.in my small town(6000 people)our fire department is unionized but not the police.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Re read the post. I said most is over 25%.

Most Civil servants (Government Employee's) are in a union.

meaning more than 25%.
Yes more than 25% of government employees are unionized. About 38% of government employees are unionized, leaving "most", 62% not represented by a union. But as far as building and construction inspectors go only 25% or 1 in 4 are unionized.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts