1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Am Building My Own Windows For My 100 Yr Old Home

Note:
Now I Want Real People That Know How To Build Windows To Respond Please

I Am A Millworker And I Have Built A Verity Of Things And I Have A Very Good Grasp On How To Build My Window Sashes For My Home I Am Looking For Feedback Like Tricks And Info On Where To Buy Seals Or Liners Or Even Glass

Thanks Caps Included

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
The woodworking is the easy part (not really easy but much less technical than the glass).. Get a Pella, Marvin, or Anderson detail book and see how they've done it (just their wood windows). Some of those manufacturers will also provide you with double pane glass with Low-E, argon filled, etc.. whatever you want.
I'm currently working with Pella on some very custom windows for a project. The most difficult one is for some 20' tall by 5' wide windows - the smallest panes will be 1'x1' with beveled glass on interior and exterior - so they are fabricating a triple pane window for each of these. Another tought one is in a wine room that will have a wrought iron gate and sidelites with glass (double pane, Argon Filled) on the cold side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
windows

i know how to build them like you said (that is the easy part) for a full time millworker . i need advise on jamb liners and tricks that someone that has built them befor knows
i also have two glass companys that i use to make all my glass they both say argone is a wast of money. to much work and money for to little return
they are glass manufactures so i think they know best

i have built alot of interior and exterior doors this is my first window sash replacement job all i want are window builder tricks

last summer i built two eyebrow windows for a guy they where pritty simple for me to build i dont think i will have any problems doing this just looking for hands on guys that have built windows and bought seals and glass and want to share that info

i should share where i buy my supplys

seals and hardware :strybuc, bi-glass
glass :ggi glass
anyone need phone # let me know

·
Registered
11 Posts
windows

Darn,
I have the list in my office of a manufacturer of a complete line of seals and trims, They also carry lines of thresholds, grates etc. for use. Have you tried Outwater plastics? They have a big selection (some of it pure unadulterated junk) of items so that their catalog is approx. 500 pgs long. I purchase a lot of low voltage and incadescent l;ighting from them, but I think that htey have a big selection of weather strippings and inset rubber (neoprene ?) that can be incorporated into a window frame. I had some problems building windows in the past when manufacturers specified a certain size slot and I found that you must test the size FIRST in mock-ups. Will return next week with another name.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hatchet said:
The woodworking is the easy part (not really easy but much less technical than the glass).. Get a Pella, Marvin, or Anderson detail book and see how they've done it (just their wood windows). Some of those manufacturers will also provide you with double pane glass with Low-E, argon filled, etc.. whatever you want.
I'm currently working with Pella on some very custom windows for a project. The most difficult one is for some 20' tall by 5' wide windows - the smallest panes will be 1'x1' with beveled glass on interior and exterior - so they are fabricating a triple pane window for each of these. Another tought one is in a wine room that will have a wrought iron gate and sidelites with glass (double pane, Argon Filled) on the cold side.
Rich - It's time for you to post some of these pictures, I would like to see some of your work.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Try Commercial Plastics in Indianapolis, they have a vast catalog of products but they mostly sell to dealers so you will have to do some fancy talking. They have polycarbs, skins and monolithic, check them out even if you don't use thier products.
Bob

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
tncontractor said:
Rich - It's time for you to post some of these pictures, I would like to see some of your work.
Here's an overall perspective of the front of the house. I've got some more pictures of the elliptical concrete wall we poured about a week ago if you want to see that.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts