Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to build a deck(basic deck)? The contractor i'm working with said he will show me and he knows i will pick it up fast with my carpentry experience. Besides all his cabinets and trim,he wants me to do decks and framing. He basically wants me full time. I think i can learn fast but i haven't even seen one being built. OK actually i did help my wife's uncle with an extention and it was easy. the guy who built his big deck wanted $7000 for the small one so her uncle laughed and we built it ourselfs.. lol did i just answer my own question? I forgot about that one

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I enjoy building decks because they really just involve good old basic carpentry skills. The larger tollerances of working with 2x, 4x and even beefier materials is sometimes a welcome relief compared to the infinitly higher tedium that can develop with lots of interior finish work.

Building decks brings me back to being a kid and playing with Lincoln Logs again. The work goes fast like the framing part of a project does, you get tangible and therefore rewarding results rather quickly.

When you are ready for more challanges all you have to do is start working higher off the ground, do multiple levels, bevels instead of just rectangular designs or even get into the deck guru land of circular designs, integrate fire pits and out door kitchens.

If you have really good basic carpentry skills and are known to have a lot of common sense and a good set of tools you will have little problems with deck building.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Basic decks are real easy. One thing to remember though is it is a finished product so don't beat the wood up to much.

Tom what do you attach your name too? I can see your epitaph now Tom R the guy who didn't attach his name to anything. LOL Sorry had to did it.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
If you want to know the truth of it, its bigger than it looks, you can't tell but it's 12X12.
Also I personally think it's going to be pretty cool when the climbing vines get a hold. The thing I hate is the dam thing has ten times the cuts as a standard.

Bob

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
JustaFramer said:
Tom what do you attach your name too? I can see your epitaph now Tom R the guy who didn't attach his name to anything. LOL Sorry had to did it.
But luckily for me, - - they wouldn't know who it was talking about, - - because there would be no name attached. :cheesygri

Glass, - - not referring to your work, of course, - - just doesn't look like my kind of design, - - maybe it looks better in person ;)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
...right square a$$ in the middle of building this one I am.
What are those arch features - some kind of huppahs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ahh, glass...

I was definately not bashing your work, just the arch, and arches, and arches!!!! Did you say Martha Sterart lives there? That is not a weekend deck project.

I just did mine this past weekend. 10' x 64' following the prow walls of the house. Not too complicated, just a few angles. The log spindles and rails are not here yet, so I dont have them on yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Deck Building

Has anyone used any of the composite decking and handrail products out on the market? If so what is your take. I just got a material cost for a 20x12 doing it in all composite, (fiveron) with ACO framing for $4500.00 dollars. Is it worth the cost for no maintence or would you use wood for handrails? Also, living in the New England area what is the going rate just for labor to build a 20X12 deck 6' off the ground? This includes tubes, framing, leger, and handrail, etc.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts