Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Building radius brick/block walls

Just wanted to know how you guys build a radius masonry walls. For an example a front entrance way wing-walls Maybe 12' -15' in length with a 4"- 6" radius.. I always just build them using a level one course at a time or 3' at a time. Just curious if you guys have a faster way of building them. Like setting up using some kind of masonry poles for radius work, so it can be done with a line, not just a level to save time.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
You guys want to have fun and be done quicker?

Depending on the wall finish look at ICF, once the first two courses are done the rest of the wall just follows.

Radius are really easy

·
Registered
759 Posts
I level the entire wall with a 4' level but for plumbing the wall I pick a few plumb points and make a template out of plywood. Usually takes two bricklayers this way though because I like the template to be around 8'-10' long (depending on wall length). Plumb at your points and adjust the brick in or out to the template.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I level the entire wall with a 4' level but for plumbing the wall I pick a few plumb points and make a template out of plywood. Usually takes two bricklayers this way though because I like the template to be around 8'-10' long (depending on wall length). Plumb at your points and adjust the brick in or out to the template.

ditto :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i am working on an outdoor fireplace/kitchen.the outside wall is about 40' semi circle,15 courses high.i laid it 10 brick at a time,racking back and plumbing in several spots.took a couple days to get the outside wall done.after that the inside wall was easy,as i followed the outside wall for level and measured the keep the wall plumb.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I always used a radii line, really hard to find though. Look at your local supply store. Should be around the sky hook department. ;)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I always used a radii line, really hard to find though. Look at your local supply store. Should be around the sky hook department. ;)
I keep mine in my hubcaps to keep the radius.
Ends and middles.Plumb the ends on one course, the middles on the next.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the old fashion way I was taught is still a common practice. Thanks for your sharing ur practices

1 - 10 of 10 Posts