Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I will have in December. My question concerning this is: What careers or fields, do you think this degree would work for? I am keeping my mind open to new things right now due to the slow economy. I would really like to pursure a career in heavy/civil.

·
Registered
523 Posts
JC, from where are you getting your degree? Where are you located and where do you want to pursue an engineering degree?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RWA- I am located in Jacksonville, FL and I am getting my Building Construction Management degree from the University of North Florida.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Most guys with such a degree start out being a field engineer or assistant super, and work up from there. On the project engineering side, you'd move up to project engineer, assistant project manager, PM, etc. On the superintendent side, you'd go from assistant super to super, to general super, etc. You can also explore estimating, purchasing, safety, or a host of other avenues- do you have something in particluar in mind?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob. I am really open to whatever is avalible. I know I should be more specific on exactly what I want to do but I enjoy everything when it comes to the construction industry. I am very efficient with computers and number but then again, I like to be the man is charge. I like to get things done in the most profitable manner and in the most effective way. I just do not want to limit myself with the way the economy is right now. It actually is very disturbing to students graduating with this degree. I chose this major when the economy was booming though, now its different!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have my degree in BCM from Purdue. I decided to go the direction of residential construction because that is what I enjoyed but you can go any direction you want.

I have friends who went commercial, industrial, civil, etc. Anything you want. Many even went the direction of speciality contractors such as working for large drywall, electrical, fiber optics, HVAC, etc.

You've got to remember this degree is just building the foundation upon which you will build your career. It should open doors to you to get positions which great companies that may otherwise take years of field experience to get similar opportunities. It's what you do after you get in that door, that will determine how far you go. I was always told that you will learn more in your first year after college than you do in all four years you spend in college and I think that is very true but it was those four years that prepared me to understand and apply what I was learning on the job in an effective manner and propelled me towards my ultimate goal (which is always evolving and I'm not sure will ever be met).

Whenever, the NFL draft comes around, you hear all the experts talking about how much faster the pro game is than the college game. I think this applies to life as well. The more experience you have in all aspects of your work, the faster you will learn, adapt, and ultimately succeed in your chosen discipline.

Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts