Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Please help.

Currently it has three poured concrete walls with a drop ceiling. He wants me to build a 4th wall with concrete block and and remove the the existing ceiling and put a concrete ceiling and make the room like a concrete bunker. Is it possible to build a concrete ceiling under a preexisting ceiling?.
Thank you
Vic

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
"please complete your profile, and continue to the intro page and tell us a little about yourself and your professional experience, thankyou and welcome to ct"

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've never done a project like this before but I'm sure your doing alot of shoring up and ripping up the sub flooring to pour some concrete plus you may have to do some post tentioning or pretentioning of the slab thats poured. Find an engineer is your best bet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Umm... Does he want the concrete to block sound out? Because if so, packing the ceiling cavity with insulating foam would work just as well. It would be doable, but insanely difficult.

If I were to do it, I'd contact an engineer and pull a permit to avoid liability. Then I'd do it however the engineer wanted it done. Otherwise, you have to live with the fear that if that concrete ceiling falls, even due to a small earthquake, your going to be liable for whatever it lands on:eek:.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
You will need the input of the local building inspector, and involve the input of a structural engineer.

The short answer is yes, it is very possible, if you have the room to float and vibrate the concrete ceiling...it will have to be pumped, obviously, and if I were considering this job, there would be 4 new walls, not just one, to insure a solid ledger for the ceiling.

I can go into this in depth, but...you really need to get an engineer, ir for the preliminary, a concrete guy experienced in this kind of construction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's more for keeping vibration in check

the house floor above vibrates. The only thing that is not affected is the 3 exsisting concrete walls. So he feels that building a fourth concrete wall and the concrete ceiling will make it vibration proof bunker room. He is not worried about the sound leaking but only the vibration.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If it shakes his entire house now, a concrete ceiling isn't going to help in my estimation. Then again, my title is not "acoustical engineer".

Call a sound recording studio (or a contractor/architect that specializes in them) and ask them what they do.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
He is not worried about the sound leaking but only the vibration.
Is he worried about money?

Sound is vibration. Vibration is sound

my title is not "acoustical engineer".
Me either, but I did demo the old KXRX radio station. The sound booths were, IFRC, two or three separate 1 5/8" metal stud walls with two layers of 5/8"GWB each side. All cavities were filled with mineral wool.

To the OP. Your customer is obviously ready to throw money at the job. Let him throw money at a designer, and two of you who have no ability to design this system, step back.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
To the OP again.

It is possible to build a concrete roof structure under an existing structure. But it is full of potential problems. How will rebar and any PT cables be placed? How much working room above the concrete will there be? Your engineer may require a design mix viscous enough that placing the concrete could be a problem.

Could a pan deck work in this application? Could gypcrete be substituted for concrete?

Will any of this work???????? And if it doesn't, will he sue you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To Anti-wingnut

Money is not the issue...he just wants to know if it could be done without complications in a simple way and if not he is willing to settle for alternative like layers of drywall with soundproofing etc. At this point i am assuming the concrete ceiling thing is going to be to much of a hassle but i will see what anyone else here has to say on this topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Anti-wingnut

Sigh!..and i also leave in a small town columbus Indiana...not much of technique involved in building things here...so i need to ask around to make sure..:laughing:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hi,
He wants me to build a 4th wall with concrete block and and remove the the drop ceiling shift the duct work and put a concrete ceiling and make the room kind of like a concrete bunker
Vic,

You are not capable of building anything, you are an interior designer. Please leave the construction questions to professioals, and concern yourself to shopping for wall paper

1 - 17 of 17 Posts