Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a code book for my state and was wondering if I should also buy IRC code book also.

Are the individual state codes based on the IRC and just changed for unique situations in that state?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys my state NC is under the 2006 IRC.

Another question for you whats the difference between the IRC and IBC?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
IRC (International Residential Code) is for Residential, IBC (International Building Code) is for general construction.

A state can (and usually does) adopt these model codes and then make additional stricter local requirements depending on the area and local weather conditions (frost, rain, wind, etc.).

The model code is only the worst way you can build and still be legal. Since they are prescriptive standards an engineer with signed plans has some latitude for special conditions and solutions. Often they can find a better/cheaper way as an option.

You should always look to the local code people to find out any local exceptions, but the trend is for states to adopt the "model codes" because many national products and design standards are used and promoted. Do not be surprised if your area does not use the latest version of a code because states (politicians) can be slow to adopt and usually go through the changes from the previous version. If you build to a code being enforced and get a final, you are "grandfathered" in unless future work is done and then a new code will apply.

Amazon and similar sources are good and you can always get the earlier versions that may be in effect. Usually, they are available on CDs and hard copies, but many people like the handy access and aurhority given by a printed copy.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Both IRC and IBC have both been updated according to wwwdotncdoidotcom (North Carolina Department of Insurance)

The 2009 NC Building Codes are effective as follows:
  • January 1, 2009 Building, Energy Conservation, Fire, Fuel Gas, Mechanical, Plumbing, Residential
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Big news... NC is going to incorp the SBC in post 09 ed's... just a heads up. from what i was told we are still going to be able to update our IBC (with the SBC amendments) books for free at the office of the state fire office... we will see i guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts