Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Thats wild, clearly not enough shear wall nailed on the ground floor. In fact I surprised the second floor didnt drop like a box. Its looks like there were almost no nails in the sheathing the way it just broke up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No, not normal, I don't think at least.... I've done alot of framing, but i have limited experience with high winds......I did notice in the video that non of the osb really breaks up, almost like it wasn't nailed, maybe just tacked....Its hard to say with any certainty, but it looks almost like a fake video

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
No, not normal, I don't think at least.... I've done alot of framing, but i have limited experience with high winds......I did notice in the video that non of the osb really breaks up, almost like it wasn't nailed, maybe just tacked....Its hard to say with any certainty, but it looks almost like a fake video
I felt the same way, it came apart like it was just tacked.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Look at the ground level where the building steps back about 6'. You have very little offered in shear with a panel and a half, even if nailed properly.

It's hard to tell how much of the rest of that building wash sheathed in on the other side, but when a building starts to shudder in the wind and vibration sets in, it's pretty amazing what'll work loose.

I'd bet that the nailing in the sheathing was over-driven for starters, if it even had more than the corners tacked, waiting for back-nailing.

I personally won't sheath a roof without all the walls fully skinned and nailed off, just for the fact that I've seen this happen to buildings locally several times.

Reactions: ScipioAfricanus

·
Eater of sins.
4,685 Posts
If you pause the video at about 14 seconds you can see that the very bottom of the braced wall that Lone was talking about didn't even have paneling at that 16" (or so).
Also, in looking through the front building, it looks like no interior walls were braced either.
I wonder if the other side was braced at all.

Awesome video.

Andy.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
If you pause the video at about 14 seconds you can see that the very bottom of the braced wall that Lone was talking about didn't even have paneling at that 16" (or so).
Also, in looking through the front building, it looks like no interior walls were braced either.
I wonder if the other side was braced at all.

Awesome video.

Andy.
I saw that when I went back. The banner was hiding it in the beginning of the video. It's clear if you watch the second playback. Edges should have been blocked and nailed off properly at the bottom of those sheets as well.

Someone is on the hook there. It won't be hard to evaluate whether proper nails and nail spacing was adhered to.

At the very least, the wall we're discussing should have had let-in wind bracing where possible on the interior and if it was a party wall, shear panels throughout, IMO.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
That was Flipping hilarious, someone can just go there with a trailer and pack up all the wood and take it back to the store for a refund as it came apart so clean

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
id say very little was braced inside as well. it happens.. last year the same thing happpened here on a house.. the guys framing it didnt have any bracing up and we were hit by a low level hurricane.

we brace the **** outta stuff no matter what. the worst thing weve had to deal with is lugging bundles of rigid foam back to the property after they blew down the street

·
Carolina Surface Prep
220 Posts
Bound to be a case study / promo clip for the Simpson and Hardy braced wall products.

Odd that would happen in Raleigh. They have the most stringent plan review and code enforcement of any area in the state.

Not sure if those are condos or apartments. You would have to be a lot concerned if you owned one or lived in one of the completed units.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
Nope - Toll brothers had the bull dozers in on Monday to clean it all up after a cursory look by local building inspectors Links
Toll Brothers?! Well I'll be jiggered.

And to put a point on earlier speculation: Yes, the sheathing would had to have been considered fully nailed off, if they had already installed insulation board over it (the blue/green stuff).

I'll betcha those BI's look a LOT closer on the next build...:whistling

1 - 20 of 26 Posts