Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to build a 16.5" x 16.5" pillar on a 16" diametre sonotube pier. Is my best approach here to pour a square base around the sono-tube? how do i anchor it to the tube and how deep should it be? other solutions?

thx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about cut the pier down by a foot and put a one piece concrete chimney block or a 16x16 pier block on the pier. I could fill the block solid and then lay it on the sono-tube.

·
Super Moderator
24,693 Posts
How tall & what's it for?

You wouldn't buy a size 10 shoe when you wear an 11 would you?.:whistling

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
How about you make a form to sit on the tube and pour it at the same time? A couple pieces of re rod on the top would finish it up.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Why use a sonotube?

Dig down, proper footing, build a square box as your 'sonotube' make it 15.5x15.5" square, put your brick pillar on top.

Depth? What's your frost depth? If none, at least to solid virgin soil

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the pillar will surround a 6x6 that will support a porch roof. My masonry will not be load bearing. the sonotube goes below the frost line. my pillar will be about 4' tall. I would have built a footing a and a square pier but the tube was already poured.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
1/2" steel plate mounted on top of the sonotube, get it galvanized and keep it 4" above grade, code is 6" but the gap will look ridiculous.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
what about cut the pier down by a foot and put a one piece concrete chimney block or a 16x16 pier block on the pier. I could fill the block solid and then lay it on the sono-tube.
The reason the pier is deep is not for support but to get below the frost line. If the load being supported was inside a one foot deep footing would do the trick. If you do what you have mentioned the frost will get under the square block and heave everything. Pour the proper footing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason the pier is deep is not for support but to get below the frost line. If the load being supported was inside a one foot deep footing would do the trick. If you do what you have mentioned the frost will get under the square block and heave everything. Pour the proper footing.
I could taper the transition between the round sono and the square block and put clear gravel around the top of the pier to allow drainage and movement around the pier in the event of frost heave? It s not an ideal situation by any means. I need to transition to square below ground because the base of the other pillars I am matching are parged square at the base.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I dont understand what the problem is?
just brick it as asked.
round to square, square to round, whats the difference?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Cut it flush with grade, dowel and epoxy a couple pieces of rebar minimum of a real 8" in and bend them inside a 8x 15.5 x 15.5 form and pour it, maybe rough up the top of the sonotube to get a good bond and throw some weldcrete on for S&G's. clear stone below the form for sure

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am going to use a cottage block laid on the sonotube. It is a steel reinforced 20"x20"x4" concrete pad sold at the local brickyard for $15. What's even better is I was given two hats, two shirts and a handful of pencils for just talking to the right sales guy. Oh and i had my 5 yr old daughter with me too. I figure I will grind a chamfer on the underside after cutting it down to 16x16. Clear stone around the base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts