Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing a home with a mansard roof and even though the property is twice the size, the house is no bigger than our current home. I would like to put a second floor on top of the mansard roof,..... is this possible? Advice?

·
Banned
485 Posts
There are many here more knowledgeable than I. That being said, my thoughts would be no, not without tearing the roof off completely, back to the top of the walls. But your going to consult a professional, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i will bring in an engineer, but wouldnt it be safe to assume that it could support a second floor since a flat roof in cleveland, ohio can get as much as 3' of snow sitting on it at any one time.

·
Super Moderator
24,114 Posts
How about an intro. With a big enough check book & enough time, just about anything is possible.

You will need to speak to a Structural Engineer. He will need an initial site visit & a basic idea of what you are proposing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, I guess I just need to get the structural engineer out to the house. I was hoping that someone was going to tell me they had done it before and tell me their experience with the project.

·
Banned
485 Posts
ya i will bring in an engineer, but wouldnt it be safe to assume that it could support a second floor since a flat roof in cleveland, ohio can get as much as 3' of snow sitting on it at any one time.
Well, I wouldn't make that assumption. Besides, say you do add on and all is peachy. Won't the weight of the snow still be a factor, in addition to a whole second floor? I bet this turns into one of those things that is cost-prohibitive. Nothing money can't fix!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts