Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have question about building a patio roof. i want to build a patio, 12Lx30W, i used a 2x8 ledger, 3 6x6 posts spaced 1each corner, 1 in the middle, I used 2x6 rafters, the slope is 2 12, I also used 3/4 plywood. It is on a cement slab. It will also be shingled.
Do you think the 2x6 are strong enough to last and to hold snow? Should I use 2x8?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
usa3605 said:
I have question about building a patio roof. i want to build a patio, 12Lx30W, i used a 2x8 ledger, 3 6x6 posts spaced 1each corner, 1 in the middle, I used 2x6 rafters, the slope is 2 12, I also used 3/4 plywood. It is on a cement slab. It will also be shingled.
Do you think the 2x6 are strong enough to last and to hold snow? Should I use 2x8?

Some of your post is in the past tense and without doing the calcs on species, live and dead loads, spacing, and knowing what code your locals are using I would say the 2x6 is ok but marginal. 2x8 16" O.C. would be better if you havn't built it. I always built 2/12 roofs to hold 10 teenagers sunbathing. Your 2x6's will probably still hold them because they don't weigh to much.lol. But seriously your beam, header, girder between the posts is probably more of an issue. I would say if you don't have at least 2 2x12's on your aprox 14 ft. span your pobably not even close. If you have less than a dbl 2x12 you can do some trickery with some 45 degree braces but that math is too much for me. Hope that helps. RT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right I should have said I started to build a roof..................
Its in Chicago, all it is used for is a roof covering over a cement slab, for summertime parties. Should I maybe double up the 2x6s?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The place where you bought your lumber should have some basic span sheets figured to your local codes. RT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts