Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a tool box for the bed of my truck that will serve as tool storage on sites as well.

I planned to use 3/4" ply and bracing/protecting all corners with 2" alum angle, bolted into place. I figured this would be bomb proof.

While looking for angle and hardware, I came across parts for building flight/road cases. The use a 90* channel to hold the panels together and are fastened via rivets. There is no direct wood/wood attachments. To me, this seems far less rigid than my idea. Then I thought about it, flight cases have been in use for many years and travel all over the world, maybe I shouldn't doubt there design concept.

Anybody have experience with these travel cases? Do they hold up? Here are some pics of the corner angle that uses 1/2" ply as you can see, the channel is only 35/64" deep and uses rivets since there's not enough area for a bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Won't fit right in my truck. I am building to fit in the area that a hang on rail tool box would, but will be fitted for my dewalt tough system boxes and various things.

Trust me, that would be much easier. Locally there is a 60" knaack for $200 but won't clear my wheel wells since I have a 6.5' bed

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Buy a Knnack or brand X over length, Demo saw the offending extra material wire weld back together, or just saw in two pieces, and slit the corners on the now male piece and lap splice with self tappers screws and caulk--no welding.... grind off screws flush.

Music instrument dealer/pawn shop for used roady crates?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts