Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over a suburban...well I got a phone call today from my ex girlfriend's uncle....the VP of my local yard asking if I could come lend a hand on something today.

We are getting ready for Art Prize. An annual art festival here in Grand Rapids that lasts 3 weeks.

Well I said sure thing Buzz, anything for you....he's a great guy. Always helping people out.

Well we are building a bridge on a bridge over a 1995 suburban.
The entrants are from Iowa city and behind schedule thanks to the engineer and local building department. This was a great distraction for me and I'm going to help them finish tomorrow.

Will be a long day.

Anywho....obligitory progress pix...

Attachments

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will be functional....full width stairs on front and back with hanrails.

Engineering was at 200#+ sf live load before the triple 2x6 bottom chord was added. Wonder where that puts it now.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Art Prize places works of art all over the city and the winner gets a large cash prize and recognition. Several exhibits are made permenant after the fact. Just moved elsewhere.

For me...it is a welcome distraction from my personal life at the moment.

I've never built a bridge before, let alone on a bridge. So seems like a good way to kill a couple days.

·
Registered
818 Posts
leave it to a city to build a bridge over an abandoned vehicle...:D

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
LOL WTF some artistic metaphor for walking over Detroit? or "Suburban" thinking....

and the beam in the eye or sticking the big stick to ---- ????? LOL

Bet they were from Austin TX :whistling or a School of Fine Arts :laughing:

Cool you got to work on the project - It's an interesting piece of framing!

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they are actually from Iowa city, grant covered their (4) tools dewalt xrp's , lumber, 2 dewalt chop saws, food, suburban, hotel stay....

I want a grant

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
they are actually from Iowa city, grant covered their (4) tools dewalt xrp's , lumber, 2 dewalt chop saws, food, suburban, hotel stay....

I want a grant
Iowa City - Iowa? College Town if so LOL

Maybe it's time to head back to College and get me some GRANT Money... Glass Blowing sounds like fun LOL

1 - 20 of 88 Posts