Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remodeled a samll restaurant for a friend after destroyed from hurricane ike and he asked me if I could build a bar for him! I have never built one and have been searching for ideas! Any of you guys have a basic framing plan for one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had seen that site and thought $19 was high but after all the searching I've done and bars that I have looked it seemed worth it now, Thanks!

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
$19 is SOOOOOOOOOO cheap when it comes to having a set of plans. I just paid $6 for a set of plans to make a miter saw station....all I have to do now is cut the cut list and build the thing...no planning formyself what so ever.... Was able to go get ALL the supplies I need in one shot and have enough with out have too much.... the hours it will save are far worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up consulting with a friend who designs and builds restuarants for a large chain. Nice work on that bar. I have a plan but now trying to keep the price down for the customer I was thinking using sanded pine 1/2 plywood to skin the bar and for the top and trim it out with pine, is that a good idea. I originally wanted to use a hardwood plywood which is more expensive and hardwood trim which is very expensive. my question is, will the pine work for staining and sealing, skin and top? Thanks! What did you use on the bar in the above pictures, looks very good!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I used 3/4 red oak ply and solid red oak for the trim. The inside of the bar I used prefinished birch ply. This was a pricey bar. I find with pine that staining is always less predictable. You should use some wood conditioner before the stain. I just like the look of oak, especially on a bar. As for the top, the customer wanted white marble so thats what they got. I think concrete would be a great look.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I like the bar. The stain not so much. I have never liked stains. Just finished a set of birch cabinets with a dark walnut stain on them and now I like stain even less:laughing: I conditioned them before staining and still wasn't real happy. Customer was though and I guess that is what counts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree on the stain. Would of looked great with a clear coat. That is (2) coats of stain. Looked great after the 1st coat. They wanted it darker and they are paying for it so it went darker. Customer loves it, thats all that really matters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts