Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn’t even know this was a thing. I have a contractors license in CA that I don’t use (I’m in TX). Can you rent it out there?

·
Registered
Carpentry
133 Posts
It's not a thing, legally. From everything ive heard the license holder needs to oversee all the work no matter which state you are in.

·
Registered
517 Posts
. Can you rent it out there?
Sort of. You can prostitute yourself if thats what makes you happy, just be sure you get paid enough to cover the risk.
If you read the license requirements for the state, it will probably say that the qualifier needs to be a w-2 employee, not a 1099. So you and the “customer” are playing a game, claiming that you are a real employee, except you aren’t actually an employee. But if your name is on the permit, you are still liable for any illegal activity that the company might do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No I'm not a paid employee. That $500 is 1099. So at the end of the year I get a 1099 for $6,000.00. I don't know if this pay is fair. What are your thoughts for that?
1st question? Do you have a written Contract agreement or is a hand shake?
If not, its up for negotiation. 1% of a million is $10k 1% can be built into a continuecy.
I have a Indian friend that wants to run his own project, use his own subs. The offer on the table is $6k .
a month. I hold a Commercial General Contractors License in Ga. Reciprocal to about 15 other states.
When you rent your license in a sense. It is call a Qualifying Agent For That Company . You need a contract stating what the responsibilities are for You the qualifying agent and Them the Company being qualified to perform Construction. And RELEASES you harmless for any code infractions, And they should furnish you with a copy of insurance with your company and yourself as covered. And other insurances or cost are covered by the company being Qualified.
Hopefully this was helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sort of. You can prostitute yourself if thats what makes you happy, just be sure you get paid enough to cover the risk.
If you read the license requirements for the state, it will probably say that the qualifier needs to be a w-2 employee, not a 1099. So you and the “customer” are playing a game, claiming that you are a real employee, except you aren’t actually an employee. But if your name is on the permit, you are still liable for any illegal activity that the company might do.
Not all states require what you have stated. which state are you referring to.
Ga doesn’t have that requirement. Its probaly not a bad idea unless all that money was under the table.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can’t believe the numbers that Iam reading, you are taking their liability for .075 % , I am retired, but if I were back in the game I would place my license as inactive and hire you immediately. Your fee is probably 100th of my contingency, think about . At least make sure you are properly insured.

·
Registered
137 Posts
FYI ... sometimes its not allowed. Virginia only allows one qualifier on the license, no alternates. Most other states allow a primary and one or more alternates.
That's not what he said. He said he's surprised a company of that size doesn't have several licensed buiders on staff. And I agree. Probably not a company you'd want anything to do with.
You only NEED one qualifier at a time. You're not prohibited from employing any number of Licensed Builders. In any state. A (good) large company will usually have several top guys who all have individual licenses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would notify them that as of ??? Due to increased expenses you will require a 2% of all contracts issued under your lic. To be verified by a cpa

·
Registered
Carpentry
133 Posts
I can’t believe the numbers that Iam reading, you are taking their liability for .075 % , I am retired, but if I were back in the game I would place my license as inactive and hire you immediately. Your fee is probably 100th of my contingency, think about . At least make sure you are properly insured.
You don't get to "name your price" in states where is easy AF to get a license. His laws sound nearly identical to the laws here in MN and it's easy AF to get license here. No reputable company would need to rent a license long term here. All u gotta do is pass a test, have insurance, background check, and pay less than 1k.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Excellent point. Maybe they are doing it on purpose. Say they do shady work. If there is a dispute and the client files a complaint against them, the state will take away their company license and HIS personal license. No big deal. They close the company, open a new one the next day and find another qualifier. Cheaper than funding the liability. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
Carpentry
133 Posts
The solution is to license a company that is professional and reputable and does things right, not working yourself up into a frenzy about all your liability and thinking you're going to get rich because you are in posession of a cheap commodity.

·
Registered
517 Posts
A (good) large company will usually have several top guys who all have individual licenses.
Maybe its semantics. The actual license is issued to a company. But the company can’t take the exam, so a living person becomes the qualifier. Some states allow multiple qualifiers to be listed on the license, some do not. If you’re not listed on the license, you’re not licensed.

Now ... could be that some employees had their own license when they were in business for themself, and put it on hold when they joined the bigger company.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts