Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well I think its time for me to get my builders license. few questions for you guys, what should I study? I found a "home study" program online which you get all the books and some practice tests for like $90, and I also saw that seminars are around $170, so I was thinking about just getting the books and studying. But, any pointers to what parts to pay special attention to?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've heard they've changed things a bit since I took mine, but if it's close to the same topics, throw everything else out the window as 70% of the test was concrete related questions. There were a few carpentry questions, drywall questions, quite a few federal and national code questions, but overall it was a concrete test:thumbdown completely stupid IMO and a very expensive concrete test once I bought all the books the recommened as well as paid for test and traveling to take test.

I kept getting pizzed cuz they did'nt have a box lettered:

E. I sub that sheeot out

go figure LOL!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only thing you need to know is how to use the books......I have GC Licensing in several states and the basic questions are all the same. The business and law section of most of the exams are typical as well. Find a course that's offered that will teach you where to find the answers. Then make sure that your financials and credentials meet the requirements of the area your applying. Some areas will qualify you first before you can take the exams. California is the only State that did not allow open book and I thought the questions were a breeze.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just took the test in Oct and what IHI said is accurate. Alot of Osha questions as well. For me the Osha stuff was the hardest as it's not the easiest book to use. The A1A Docs are very big as well. I think there were 30-40 questions on those.

If you call CAM Tech and order your books through them and get their workbook and do what it says and highlight all the stuff you will pass. The math stuff isn't all that hard it's mostly concrete like IHI said. I dont think you need to answer any math questions right to pass the test anyways.

I dont remember getting any questions that I didnt already see from thier book.

·
Registered
11 Posts
P.S. save the money and don't go to the school. You can pass it with just their workbook.

P.S.S. You may want to go for the business and finance if you dont feel comfortable with that area it was kinda tough. I don't know if they offer anything for just that portion of the school but you really don't need anything more than the workbooks for the rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts