Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have been doing installs of windows and siding for years and because of our volume I have a high quality vinyl window that i can re-sell to builders and remodelers for far less than what they pay at the lumber yard for the exact same window sold under a different name. We also can beat the quality and price of two local manufacturers.

We have a store front showroom, delivery truck Etc. and we just cant break the habit of the builder buying his windows from the lumber yard with his lumber package and the remodeler going to the same distributor they have used for years and buying an inferior product for more money. Anyone that we get convinced to place an order is happy and typically places more orders once they install their first order.

What would convince you to try one of our windows? Sometimes i wonder if the low price scares people?

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
My last house had Patriot windows and they opened and closed very hard. My wife couldnt even open a few of them.

If yours are silky smooth like Andersons I would tell people that -as it is a major gripe of mine anyhow.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JBM said:
My last house had Patriot windows and they opened and closed very hard. My wife couldnt even open a few of them.

If yours are silky smooth like Andersons I would tell people that -as it is a major gripe of mine anyhow.
Are we talking vinyl andersens? Most contractors dont want to hear this but smooth operation has more to do with proper install and shimming than the quality of the window. Think about it the hardware on windows the block and tackle or constant force balance on all windows are made by just a few companies usually TRUTH so if the reveals are right your windows gonna be flawless regardless of quality

Reactions: JBM

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
If they are the same window that I would normally use, it would be on price alone. Plus free delivery and occasionally throwing in some cool upgrades for free. And a hat.

I'm all about being treated like a diva. :laughing:

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
So we have been doing installs of windows and siding for years and because of our volume I have a high quality vinyl window that i can re-sell to builders and remodelers for far less than what they pay at the lumber yard for the exact same window sold under a different name. We also can beat the quality and price of two local manufacturers.

We have a store front showroom, delivery truck Etc. and we just cant break the habit of the builder buying his windows from the lumber yard with his lumber package and the remodeler going to the same distributor they have used for years and buying an inferior product for more money. Anyone that we get convinced to place an order is happy and typically places more orders once they install their first order.

What would convince you to try one of our windows? Sometimes i wonder if the low price scares people?
IMO you can forget builders and GC's, because a store front cannot compete with distributor pricing.
How can you sell your windows to builders? Same way a salesman sells products to his suppliers....

Provide them with:
Who you are, what is your company, how long in window distribution business etc?
What is the name brand of your windows and who makes them?
Provide a spec sheet of the windows and available options?
What warranty you provide and how long?
Pricing sheets and delivery turn-around time and which states will you ship.
After you provide all that, you might get lucky and find a few smaller contractors to whom you can flip your windows and be a middle man... but anyone in theirs right mind will go right to the distributor.

With that said, the place where I buy my windows, another Chinese manufacturer opened a window place, and they banging out the same type of a window for half the price. I was visiting my buddy on his job and a contractor used this windows and he said never again... Windows sucked plain and simple. They looked the same, felt the same, but they made like ****, no comparison.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The builders and gc's are actually who we are in a position to save the most money. We can sell then the same window for less than the lumberyard.

Thought about doing measures $50 to measure applied as a credit when order is placed?

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From my experience on the orders i have measured, if someone wants us to measure it they really have no business installing it either lol

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
We buy pretty much all of our window direct. Rarely ever from a yard. The company is local ,so turn around is fairly fast , have been times when we had one the next day in a rush situation. A quality window with a good warranty . Once we installed if any problems the company comes and takes care of it. Good contractor pricing too.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The problem is kickbacks and other benefits the distributors get, quantity pricing, ect.

Builders don't typically line item price they buy packages. They (distributors) won't loose much business before they realize Power has his hand in their pocket. It is easy to find a few grand elsewhere in a entire building package where you don't have that luxury with one line item.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most contractors like myself install windows and doors them self and have been forever. So I would not order windows from you to be harassed about having you install them .. Plus your statement that windows don't work properly Because of improper installation by gcs ... That's not true .. It's not going to get you any windows sold ... And it's not going to get you any installations .... My thought

·
Registered
435 Posts
Patrick said:
Are we talking vinyl andersens? Most contractors dont want to hear this but smooth operation has more to do with proper install and shimming than the quality of the window. Think about it the hardware on windows the block and tackle or constant force balance on all windows are made by just a few companies usually TRUTH so if the reveals are right your windows gonna be flawless regardless of quality
That statement is not true inferior windows do not open the same when installed correctly . And that statement would only be made by someone selling cheap inferior windows

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
The problem is kickbacks and other benefits the distributors get, quantity pricing, ect.

Builders don't typically line item price they buy packages. They (distributors) won't loose much business before they realize Power has his hand in their pocket. It is easy to find a few grand elsewhere in a entire building package where you don't have that luxury with one line item.
This is the case IMO.

Just like builders always want to provide the fiber cement siding on new construction projects. They get in good with one salesman and buy everything they can from him because they know he offer's service.

I buy all my siding from one supplier and all my roofing from another supplier. Individually they are the best at there respective product lines but both offer siding and roofing.

I have a 900 sq. roofing job and my siding supplier want's the order bad. Offering me like a dollar less a bundle. I'm not going to do it. I'll end up loosing the relationship with my roofing guy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts