Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they worth the fees involved? I dont have any that are really that close and have always wondered how beneficial they can be.

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
We joined our Home Builders Association 3 years ago specifically to get in on group coverage of workers compensation. Probably saved $5,000 the first year and the membership is $425 per year. We have also gotten in on the 401k that they offer and save a bunch in fees by being in with the group. Its also a good place to network although I haven't really gotten too involved in Meetings,Trade Shows, etc.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ditto on the workers comp benefit. You can put there logo on your business card, most ho's do not know they pretty much let anyone in but it looks good..

·
13 Licenses & Counting
197 Posts
The local Master Builders Assoc (NAHB sister or something) - I've probably got enough referral work through them to cover the cost, but just barely. Also, we had health insurance through them. They were very pro-city growth, not very pro-rural growth, so I got out for political reasons. The workers compensation thing is messed up here in Washington, so the turn around to see savings on it was something like 3 years....We didn't bother, as our employee load is typically only 1 to 3 guys.

I'm a member of the National Ground Water Association & Washington State Ground Water, and serve on the board of directors for the WSGWA. I also do quite a bit of lobbying work with the WSGWA, doing a lot of hand shaking with politicians at the capitol here in Washington State, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts