Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our contract with the builder states that the house will be built using the customer supplied plans (we supplied the plans). It also states that any change to the plan would have to be in writing and signed by both parties. We never approved the radical roof design change.

You can see pictues of the house at the link below that I feel shows our home was not constructed in a workmanlike manner. Any comment would be appreciated.

www.microfilmplus.com/house.html

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I would be sooo embarassed if I ever built anything like that. My Daddy would come out of the grave and get me!
I have never seen anything like that chute thing. Collect stuff? Duh!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Whoa! I just went back and looked again after seeing Teetor's comment. I missed the pictures of that crazy roof basin on my first go 'round - that's absolutely wild. I think the builder got the idea for the look from the jet intake cowl of a stealth fighter.
What is there to say? Looks like the builder found himself holding a tiger by the tail and was afraid to let go.

Grumpy has got to see this roof! :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Maybe one of Glass's 'soup kitchen' guys.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Great point Mike! Also good for hardcore organic gardeners and survivalist types. A selling point in the making if I ever saw one. You can almost hear the saleperson " Do you enjoy gardening or have concerns about NUCULAR or biologic devestation?- no worries. This home has it's own high volume freshwater collection system." :eek:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Come on Pond, you can do better than that! I was thinking you'd recommend that they try and get some upgraded carpet comp't to them or something? Maybe get the builder to kick in an ice maker or convection oven. Maybe even go for a whole house Bose sound system or something. I mean, the roof is functional and all right? Structurally sound? It doesn't look bad. What are they gonna' do, tear off the roof and re-build it? Let's be realistic about this. :cheesygri

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mr. Walter,

Things like this never cease to amaze me. Whats with your local building dept., doesn't the inspector know how to read plans? Looks like the low slope was designed to drain over the hip onto the lower valley. Thats what I would call a typical hog valley type of construction, but yours isn't typical...

Good luck.

Best regards

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does look like the workmanship was on the poor side. I am not an expert on reading plans but it looks like the original plan calls for an opening right obove the entry where 4 sides of the roof drain right into the opening? This is where it looks like the builder had inclosed the area laiid rubber and added a scupper. Poor design i Agree. But i would tend to think the origional design was flawed also. Maybee i am reading the plan wrong?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Uncalled for, pond. The guy might have been union.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm ignoring this. Push too many buttons and ........

·
Registered
318 Posts
Teetor - I'm with you. Dad hasn't passed on yet, but if I framed a roof like this, he would - then come back and whup the tar out of me for attaching our family name to that roof. It looks like an Epcot Center toilet gone wrong....

I don't know what kind of snow Ohio gets, but their asking for trouble with that thing.

Tim

P.S. Teetor - yeah, I guess the sound of one's own voice is very enchanting to some....

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Back when I was a kid in the islands we had cisterns under the house which provided our water. Maybe that is what the guy was shooting for, whoops, takes a tank somewhere.
Thinking back on it we were pretty tough back then. The cistern was fed by the roof and gutters and the birds pooped on both. Lizards must have met their death on their way down the crude piping.
In one way this makes my skin kinda crawl but if I ever had the opportunity to do it over I'd be there in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts