Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Steve
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a "What would you do" type question, I told HO to call an electrician as a permit, etc would be needed.
The builder was foreclosed on a house I went to look at. New HO has a long punch list, all sinks, water heater, both HVAC units, fixtures, and the MAIN BREAKER PANEL were cut out and taken away by the builder. The circuits from the panel are cutoff above where the panel was mounted, about 7 feet from the floor. No slack, about 26 circuits. How would you correct this while maintaining proper NEC2008 for inspection?
Damn nice builder for sure. I gave my price for hanging some cabinets and drywall and wished them well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
LAW SUIT! A builder has no legal basis to remove anything. He can file a lein but anything permenantly a fixed to the property, stays. Unless of course he was the one that owns the house and chose to remove the items. If it was repoed from him he broke some laws.

I can't speak to adding onto homeruns although the question is interesting.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I dealt with a situation similar to this many yrs ago but the bank didnt choose to persue the previous HO for the damages or repair. They replaced everything removed and repaired any damage and applied the costs to the amount owed by the previous HO. As far as homeruns being cut about the only option is to JB all the circuits and make some kind of access to them to be withen code. Hopefull this was done in some kind of utility room so the access wont be so obvious. If there is an attic above maybe some slack can be pulled enough to put JB's up there out of site and new homeruns ran down to new panel. If this guy cut the wires this short then he was definitly disgruntled and i too am inclined to think he was also the HO they foreclosed on. He was sure out to bone someone.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
dealt with this back in 1983, the panel was stolen. We installed a large J-box (metal can with screw on cover) in the ceiling where the home runs turned down the wall. The cover was flush with the sheetrock, we textured the lid. Yes, it still showed but not terribly.

Hopefully you're in a location where it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is just a "What would you do" type question, I told HO to call an electrician as a permit, etc would be needed.
The builder was foreclosed on a house I went to look at. New HO has a long punch list, all sinks, water heater, both HVAC units, fixtures, and the MAIN BREAKER PANEL were cut out and taken away by the builder. The circuits from the panel are cutoff above where the panel was mounted, about 7 feet from the floor. No slack, about 26 circuits. How would you correct this while maintaining proper NEC2008 for inspection?
Damn nice builder for sure. I gave my price for hanging some cabinets and drywall and wished them well.
You have to prove in court he did it,

·
ampman
783 Posts
I dealt with a situation similar to this many yrs ago but the bank didnt choose to persue the previous HO for the damages or repair. They replaced everything removed and repaired any damage and applied the costs to the amount owed by the previous HO. As far as homeruns being cut about the only option is to JB all the circuits and make some kind of access to them to be withen code. Hopefull this was done in some kind of utility room so the access wont be so obvious. If there is an attic above maybe some slack can be pulled enough to put JB's up there out of site and new homeruns ran down to new panel. If this guy cut the wires this short then he was definitly disgruntled and i too am inclined to think he was also the HO they foreclosed on. He was sure out to bone someone.
x2 j-bs or repull homeruns, i would also look in the attic to see if any wire were cut before turning on power

·
Registered
428 Posts
Trough

I'd put in a trough and do new splices to the new panel. I'm assuming wires are cut 7ft from ground and ceiling is 8ft. That's plenty of space to get them in. You'll probably need a small 4" but long 2ft trough or something close in order to get your panel up as high as possible to keep your main breaker 4.5-5.5 ft. Let us know what happens

·
Registered
25 Posts
“The circuits from the panel are cutoff above where the panel was mounted, about 7 feet from the floor. No slack, about 26 circuits. How would you correct this while maintaining proper NEC2008 for inspection?”

The fix- Large splice can or gutter and lots of wire nuts. Tone generator for mapping circuits and above all a small apprentice to climb into the attic.:laughing:

·
Registered
43 Posts
A gutter will be your friend for splicing everything... Also, it aint your fault for the other stuff that happened, so don't worry about it! Just make sure all you do is legit and safe.

·
Electrical Contractor
87 Posts
LAW SUIT! A builder has no legal basis to remove anything. He can file a lein but anything permenantly a fixed to the property, stays.
Are you sure about that? What if an inspector orders him to remove something? He still has no legal basis to remove it? What if the builder determines that it is not up to his quality standards? I guess it must stay, right? What if the electrician nail up a 18 CI box and 5 minutes later decides a 22 CI box is better? Too bad, right? There's no legal basis to remove anything installed in the house?

I realize this is an old thread, but I decided my rant needed to be posted...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Are you sure about that? What if an inspector orders him to remove something? He still has no legal basis to remove it? What if the builder determines that it is not up to his quality standards? I guess it must stay, right? What if the electrician nail up a 18 CI box and 5 minutes later decides a 22 CI box is better? Too bad, right? There's no legal basis to remove anything installed in the house?

I realize this is an old thread, but I decided my rant needed to be posted...

Inspectors can require something to be corrected in order to meet current codes.

It's a different matter if the builder has a higher standard than the code minimum.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
If the inspector ordered to take it out it would be under the presumption that it would be replaced with the correct panel, not just a hole in the wall with dangling wires.

·
Electrical Contractor
87 Posts
Well, the builder would never admit to vandalizing the job like this anyway, he'd act surprised when told and attribute it to some third party that did this during the night...

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am assuming the builder was in the middle of building or remodel when house went into foreclosure from what the op said. Hence builder is not getting payed/ has not been paid for items already installed.
In which case I say good for him take it all out. As far as the legality, if it where me and I was not getting paid I would be like Bart Simpson "I didn't do it, no body saw me do it"
"What HVAC we didn't get to installing it yet". "Electrical Panel was there when I left"
:whistling

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am assuming the builder was in the middle of building or remodel when house went into foreclosure from what the op said. Hence builder is not getting payed/ has not been paid for items already installed.
In which case I say good for him take it all out. As far as the legality, if it where me and I was not getting paid I would be like Bart Simpson "I didn't do it, no body saw me do it"
"What HVAC we didn't get to installing it yet". "Electrical Panel was there when I left"
:whistling
Real good ethics there:no:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Do you think the foreclosing bank will be acting ethically towards the uncompensated builder who may have over $20k tied up just in mechanics and materials.
I think not. You must be willing to do whatever is needed when dealing with a ruthless counterpart such as a Bank.
Let them use some OUR money they where given in the bail out.
They are only interested in themselves and if you are not going to act in your best interest then you are a fool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts