Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who places/finishes concrete (I've searched all over the internet for this) but has anyone ever noticed how bugs are extremely attracted to wet or green concrete and does anyone have an idea why. Random question but I've always wondered why.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know it's weird when I pour at dairy's there are lady bugs all over the concrete. I cant even guess how many ants have perished under my trowel. Might just be the temperature...

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Most common prints have been...

kids names/initials

bicycle tire tracks

deer tracks

dog tracks

bear tracks

elk tracks

The bear tracks were very cool. It walked straight across a freshly poured apron, in a straight line about 2' out from the garage door.

Owner went nuts, thought I did it intentionally....

I rode the wave for awhile & owned up to the truth....:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Today it was those pretty fall leaves...:mad:

I got lucky though, the wind died right after the screed, and I could reach out and pick them out before the float

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they don't leave tacks or anything it's just weird...like tonight. Started a 100 yard pour at 6:30 this morning and because of the lowish temp (high of 72 at 2 pm) and the 20% fly ash in the mix, I didn't have it sold until 8 pm. When we were taking the riding trowel machines off the concrete I noticed about 10-15 beetles running around on the still very green concrete in about a 5' x 5' area. Must just be something in the mix around here : D

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
To anyone who places/finishes concrete (I've searched all over the internet for this) but has anyone ever noticed how bugs are extremely attracted to wet or green concrete and does anyone have an idea why. Random question but I've always wondered why.
I think it's a random thing. They are just more visible in a new concrete slab than they are on the dirt/ rock around it. Plus when they land there they get stuck.

I remember one year when we had a periodic cicada hatch out. They were attracted to any kind of machinery noise, they especially liked the trowelling machines. There was nothing you could do but trowell em in. Had to fix bug holes before installing finished floors on that project.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
brock029 said:
Bugs? How about dogs!? Those sonsabitches are drawn to wet concrete like its crack cocaine.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
Some dumb bastard walked on my fresh stamped concrete at my parade house. Couldn't get a lot of em out. I'd have shot that sucker if I knew who it was. I went around the whole job checking shoe treads for a match.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Some dumb bastard walked on my fresh stamped concrete at my parade house. Couldn't get a lot of em out. I'd have shot that sucker if I knew who it was. I went around the whole job checking shoe treads for a match.
The next Gil Grissom...

We did a little 3 yard sidewalk about a month back, and one of my guys, who was helping the whole time stands up from mag floating to get a drink, and walks right on the concrete. We had a good laugh at that one

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Poured a driveway, front porch, and back porch last Friday. The back porch already had a roof over it so the drive and porch was already done and swept and we were still working on the back. I walked back to the front and what do I see... Some kid walked across the drive and drug his feet the entire way. Of course the concrete was already too hard to re broom it. Also a case of bad parenting, kid ran through the middle of a construction site. We use steel stakes to set our forms and we hand screeded it so none of those stakes were driven below the forms... And we don't put caps on them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, you should.
Yeah it's something I've thought about allot and usually we drive our stakes to the top of the form... Just this specific time we didn't. I haven't bothered with caps because I can already see what will happen. I'll buy a bunch then they will all end up missing then I get to buy more.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
You mean like all my form steaks
Yeah, me too. I lose the form stake AND the caps. The subs get 'em. Then they want to nickel and dime me when the have to work a 1/2 hour OT. :mad:

But one workman's comp/ disability claim will make that look like the chump change that it is. All it takes is one slip and fall. And if it's the kid next door that does it their parents will own your company.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.