Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Installed 2000 sq. ft of vinyl Armstrong tiles.

Customer wants the floor waxed/buffed. I never done this before, but i still agreed to take the job. My intentions were to sub out to a pro, but im thinking about renting the machine. Rental cost $35 per day.

How exactly is the process done? It it hard? It the wax expensive.

Thanks In Advanced

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not an expert of vinyl, but these are generally no-wax floors. Once you wax these things you void any warranty provided by the manufacturer. Check with your dealer on this, but in this case the customer does not know what he is asking. I could be wrong...but I would check it out.

Another thing you can do is go online an take a look at the installation requirements and warranties associate with the tiles you just installed. Print them off and give them to him.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here is the Armstrong link you will need. Fish around on it. Usually, residential vinyl is no wax.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The janitor for the build already did a room and it came out great. Very Glossy. All the vinyl floors in the building have the same finish on. High gloss finish. Cleaning crew has been doing it for years without any problems. Im trying to achieve the same finish. I would ask them, but they only work for the cleaning company.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I am sure we are not talking about residential no wax floors.
We are talking about V.C.T. (Vinyl composition tiles)
Same stuff in grocery stores and such.
If that is the case, then the machine will do all the work. You just need to push it around and change the pads.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Florcraft said:
I am sure we are not talking about residential no wax floors.
We are talking about V.C.T. (Vinyl composition tiles)
Same stuff in grocery stores and such.
If that is the case, then the machine will do all the work. You just need to push it around and change the pads.

Yep, i think thats it. (Commercial tiles is the name i know them by)

But how would i know what pad , product, and technique to use?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those machines have a learning curve. A pro could maneuver it through an obstacle course, you might find it difficult to keep the walls/baseboards intact for a bit untill you got a sense of it. Start in the middle of the first room jic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts