Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they got all of his tools from his truck last saturday night. so already gave him the whole "why you no unload your truck?!"

anyways, he had the dewalt lithium ion 20V set. was going to surprise him and go buy the impact and drill set for him to help get him back on his feet. He says he loved that set and was heartbroken that it was gone. my question is....are the new dewalt lithium batteries worth a ****? I mean, what would you do? by him what he had, or buy him something better? I fell off the Dewalt ride long ago due to the batteries, but maybe the new lithium's are better?

·
Super Moderator
44,692 Posts
98crewcab said:
they got all of his tools from his truck last saturday night. so already gave him the whole "why you no unload your truck?!" anyways, he had the dewalt lithium ion 20V set. was going to surprise him and go buy the impact and drill set for him to help get him back on his feet. He says he loved that set and was heartbroken that it was gone. my question is....are the new dewalt lithium batteries worth a ****? I mean, what would you do? by him what he had, or buy him something better? I fell off the Dewalt ride long ago due to the batteries, but maybe the new lithium's are better?
Its what he loved, it would be what I would get him. That sucks by the way, who ever did that should be shot!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Not kidding... Tell him to get on craigslist.... maybe 50% chance of getting his stuff back.....

Long story short, my son got stuff stolen in SoCal, got on Craigslist, found it, and recovered it.

Alot of crooks are dumb.

Good luck.... and nice/goodfriend to help him!

·
Super Moderator
44,692 Posts
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
Not kidding... Tell him to get on craigslist.... maybe 50% chance of getting his stuff back..... Long story short, my son got stuff stolen in SoCal, got on Craigslist, found it, and recovered it. Alot of crooks are dumb. Good luck.... and nice/goodfriend to help him!
He might want to check the pawn shops as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for the responses! his insurance wouldn't cover it because it was in the back of his truck....or some crap?! they told him that if they broke into the truck for them, it would be covered....and he has been out twice already today to meet people advertising for dewalt tools on craigslist....so far, none where his......said he will give it a few more shots, then just rely on any pics posted:/

and we just got home from his pad. dropped off a new 20v dewalt combo kit. made his day.....Hes a very deserving person. I know he'd do the same for someone in need...

·
Registered
155 Posts
That reminds me to go through and update my list of serial numbers. Periodically I go through and take pictures of all my tools (and other valuables) along with shots of the serial numbers.
I once found out the hard way that you are basically SOL even if your stuff is recovered unless you can give the cops item descriptions and serial numbers. Having said that, your friend should still scan craigslist and provide the needed beatdown if he finds his tools.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
That reminds me to go through and update my list of serial numbers.
And take one of those vibrating engravers and engrave your last name and DL number on them. That way they can't sell them at a pawn shop and it'll be an easy lookup for any cop that runs across someone with them for some reason. Harder to do well on plastic areas, but still doable.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
98 I hope he appreciates the friend he has in you. Awesome gesture buddy!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yeah, cuz if one of my friends were dumb enough to keep leaving their tools in the back of their truck wide open for the world, I would have said, you got what you deserved lesson learned.

So I agree, I too hope that he appreciates you!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I own the 20v set with the impact, hammer drill, reciprocating saw and light. 2 of the big packs and 2 of the smaller packs, 3amh and 1.5amh respectively, I believe.

I've been very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, cuz if one of my friends were dumb enough to keep leaving their tools in the back of their truck wide open for the world, I would have said, you got what you deserved lesson learned.

So I agree, I too hope that he appreciates you!
lol, dont get me wrong..I gave him plenty of crap about it. he is now getting a better means of locking down now, and unloading his bed nightly!!! hes a good guy. Hes my electrician, and hes always thinking that people are better than they are. think this last one here was just enough to make him conscious of what he could lose.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I assume he made a police report. I know that doesn't really help that much, but in the overall picture it can.
Also, he needs to push the issue. I have had this discussion with the police. Theft is taking something with the intent to deprive the owner of the property. Burglary is "entering without authority" with the intent to deprive the owner of the property. The arguement is, when a person crosses the plane of the open truck bed, they have entered the bed of the truck. If they had reached through an open window it is basically the same thing.
Get a police report and see if the officer will write it as "burglary to motor vehicle." Then present that to the insurance company.
As far as insurance goes, everyone has the best insurance policy until they have a claim.
Good luck to him.
Also get him the Dewalt. He was happy with it. I have the same thing. No problems.

·
General Contractor
8,112 Posts
they got all of his tools from his truck last saturday night. so already gave him the whole "why you no unload your truck?!"

anyways, he had the dewalt lithium ion 20V set. was going to surprise him and go buy the impact and drill set for him to help get him back on his feet. He says he loved that set and was heartbroken that it was gone. my question is....are the new dewalt lithium batteries worth a ****? I mean, what would you do? by him what he had, or buy him something better? I fell off the Dewalt ride long ago due to the batteries, but maybe the new lithium's are better?
Tell him to file a claim, if he has a commercial plates on the truck insurance will cover it, all he has to do is call the cops and have a police report.
I know a few guys who experienced the same s^*t and they went through home insurance, even they covered the loss.

With that said, there been a few people here who got jacked for tools or other property.
Just so you know, anybody in the trade should talk to theirs insurance agent and get yourself covered... Most insurance companies provide loss or theft clause to commercial policies, incase this happens. If your company does not, switch your insurance, it might cost you little more but its well worth it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts