Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious,do you guys bother to make bucks for the fenestration's on your walls,or do you just plumb the bricks at the jambs ?

You may call them by a different name,they are temporary /removable wooden frames to establish opening size.

Any time possible,I will make bucks,especially if they can be used on other walls or other locations in same buildings.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I do, I have all different length corner poles. We' ll clamp them in any opening that doesn't have a frame set. When we scaffold or stop for the day, we will take the poles down and joint the jambs.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have never used this method, most additions or new builds we do have the windows installed before we get there so we just butt against these. On jobs that have no windows installed we drop vertical lines and build to this.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have never used this method, most additions or new builds we do have the windows installed before we get there so we just butt against these. On jobs that have no windows installed we drop vertical lines and build to this.

I can tell by the response from you two fellas,you must be talking veneer work. My reference was more geared to solid or load bearing masonry. With no wood frame structure built,there would be nothing to attach poles or "jack lines" as we call them.

I usually make my bucks out of wood. Have been "noodling" the idea of making some versatile / adjustable steel ones. They would be handy for composite and or block work.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
When I'm putting windows or doors through mass masonry I get the carps to build the bucks. That way they get as much or little air space as they need and if it isn't square it's on them. (i do check for square anyhow but I still like being relieved of the responsibility.) I do plumb and brace them however. I do th same on the rare occassions that i start a veneer before a window or door is installed (sometimes a front door is special order or the wrong one was delivered whatever) but in those circumstances the buck usually acts as a frame fro the temporary door or window as well

i don't do it often enough to bother making re-usable ones. i would thonk it would be difficult to make an adjustable one that is reasonably cheap/lightweight and easy to make square. Maybe a sliding frame that had a few bolt holes so you could put some corner brackets on to square...and some marks every 3 & 4 " so it would be easy measuring

·
Registered
677 Posts
fjn said:
I can tell by the response from you two fellas,you must be talking veneer work. My reference was more geared to solid or load bearing masonry. With no wood frame structure built,there would be nothing to attach poles or "jack lines" as we call them. I usually make my bucks out of wood. Have been "noodling" the idea of making some versatile / adjustable steel ones. They would be handy for composite and or block work.
This would be handy if everyone bought Home Depot windows that are a certain size, if you deal with more custom size openings then I would just keep doing it the way you are if it works for you.

Haven't build a solid all masonry addition since I have landed in Canada, all timber frame and brick veneer, ( with wall ties put in as we go, but we won't talk about that) haha

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't do it often enough to bother making re-usable ones. i would thonk it would be difficult to make an adjustable one that is reasonably cheap/lightweight and easy to make square. Maybe a sliding frame that had a few bolt holes so you could put some corner brackets on to square...and some marks every 3 & 4 " so it would be easy measuring

These "gadgets"are what got the wheels turning to make some adjustable ones out of steel. They do need a tad more versatility to really be adaptable.

http://equipaobra.com.br/plus/modulos/catalogo/verProduto.php?cdcatalogoproduto=21

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I dont think there is much time wasted plumbing an opening in block work. The issue for us was always making sure the window is in the right spot, no how long it took.

I could imagine it being useful back in the day with 12" thick brick walls though.

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,105 Posts
We used to build most of the single glazed timber windows in as the brickwork and blockwork went up.
Screwed frame cramps into the frames which went into the bed joints.

·
Registered
677 Posts
dom-mas said:
SUM, we call it stick framing here. Timber framing is post and beam stuff. How long have you been here anyhow, and where diid you come from? Ireland correct? Ulster or South
Been here 8 years this summer, and from the North of Ireland.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think there is much time wasted plumbing an opening in block work. The issue for us was always making sure the window is in the right spot, no how long it took.

I could imagine it being useful back in the day with 12" thick brick walls though.

The thing that caught my attention with those steel bucks were the "metal tabs" on the top rail. I think the logic of them is to provide a anchoring point to affix a 2 x for the false work for lintel blocks .:thumbup:

We all have discussed the pros of not having exposed steel lintels. If you go the lintel block route,why not utilize the false work to aid in plumbing the jambs as you go.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
How do you like it so far? Much different than back home. A friends father is a bricklayer in County Cork (but that's south I think) he says that they don't pay near the same attention to their joints that we do here

·
Registered
677 Posts
dom-mas said:
How do you like it so far? Much different than back home. A friends father is a bricklayer in County Cork (but that's south I think) he says that they don't pay near the same attention to their joints that we do here
Loving it, this is now my home, wife, 2 kids , small business 7 employees, Canada has been good to me.
I find the detail in the work here is not as strict as we do/done back home, it took be a while to get my head around a few things but overall no problems.

My grandmothers family are from Cork one of my fav places in Ireland.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,092 Posts
We used to build most of the single glazed timber windows in as the brickwork and blockwork went up.
Screwed frame cramps into the frames which went into the bed joints.
Same here, timber or steel, especially in commercial work.
We'd still put the level on the jambs just to be sure.

These days most resi. work is frame and veneer, 'round here, anyway.

D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts