Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Pro
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, fired up the truck today and it was 12 degrees outside. Made the 40 mile commute to the jobsite, picking up 2 crew members on the way. Set up the metal break, started taking siding off to change out the hail damaged fascia and window surrounds and the siding kept cracking in the cold. After 20 minutes of actual "work", we packed it all in and called it a day.

2 employees, gas, broken siding, cost me around $400 plus a lost day on the schedule. How are you guys doing being competitive and planning for this kind of lost time? I'm already 2 weeks behind schedule and praying my customers continue to understand...

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I can't stand the cold weather either, but it's just part of what we all signed on for. It was about 20 degrees with a wind chill of 10 deg this morning, so I planned accordingly - I slept in and had hot chocolate with a shot of rum for breakfast. Then I waddled over to the couch and watched TV for the rest of the day :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,552 Posts
I called us off yesterday for today. They were calling for a high of 20 with 30 mph winds. We have been really busy all year, so no sense suffering in the miserable weather. I plan on missing about one day a week this winter.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I can't stand the cold weather either, but it's just part of what we all signed on for. It was about 20 degrees with a wind chill of 10 deg this morning, so I planned accordingly - I slept in and had hot chocolate with a shot of rum for breakfast. Then I waddled over to the couch and watched TV for the rest of the day :laughing:
Are you hiring ?? :blink:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It's been 69 degrees here all day....I don't know how cold it was outside, though ;)

It was 20 degrees this morning with wind blowing like crazy, maybe it'll get better by the end of the week.

·
Pro
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on the responses... I need to learn a little more from the "pros"... lol. Heard all the stories of walking uphill in the snow - both ways - just figured I needed to keep trudging forward.

Sounds like I need a vacation instead!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had the same kind of day. I was 5 min late to work (3rd time in 15 years) and then things just went downhill from there. Ice every where, broken skytrak, -5 windchill, whining coworkers, broken tools. We quit after 8 hrs today.
We Did get the cap finished and a few walls framed though so we might have broke even

·
Super Moderator
10,552 Posts
I had the same kind of day. I was 5 min late to work (3rd time in 15 years) and then things just went downhill from there. Ice every where, broken skytrak, -5 windchill, whining coworkers, broken tools. We quit after 8 hrs today.
We Did get the cap finished and a few walls framed though so we might have broke even
I only work the winters so that I can maintain the same crew for spring. Breaking even is about as good as you can do most days. When I have the losing money days along with being miserable, that's where I draw the line.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Are you hiring ?? :blink:
Sure!, if you want to do all the work for me. I'll call occasionally to check on your progress :laughing:. Last night I heard on the news it was going to be cold and windy today (high of 34, 20-25mph winds), so I made the difficult, important, high-level, executive decision to stay home and 'catch up on my paperwork' (lay on my butt and goof off :laughing:). I rarely do that, but I worked this past weekend, so NO guilt on my part today :no:

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,074 Posts
It's 27* right now with a wind chill of 20*.

I had to man-up the last two days and get the barrel stove in the shop fired up and endure 70* temps while playing with wood.:whistling

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Sure!, if you want to do all the work for me. I'll call occasionally to check on your progress :laughing:. Last night I heard on the news it was going to be cold and windy today (high of 34, 20-25mph winds), so I made the difficult, important, high-level, executive decision to stay home and 'catch up on my paperwork' (lay on my butt and goof off :laughing:). I rarely do that, but I worked this past weekend, so NO guilt on my part today :no:
Sounds good to me ! You just pay me what you have figured for a half ass helper!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I only work the winters so that I can maintain the same crew for spring. Breaking even is about as good as you can do most days. When I have the losing money days along with being miserable, that's where I draw the line.

I'm sure that's all my boss hopes to do is break even and not lose guys. I sure wouldn't mind doing 8 hr days but who knows when the next bad weather day will hit an blow hrs and schedules. What i find hard to believe is how busy we stay throughout winter. It's almost worse than summer because of missed days

1 - 20 of 163 Posts