Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I've brought this up, but one day about two years ago I got a call from my brother who has shaped surfboards for the past twenty years. He wanted to know if he could use my license to do a small job. He's 62 years old and trying to scramble to make money to get him to retirement. The EPA and California regulations finally made it impossible for his glassing shop to stay viable.

So I tell him I'm sorry but it's illegal for me to let him use my license. He had worked for many years for my father back in the day and had some construction knowledge. I did tell him to go get a license and I might be able to help him jump into the decking business. So he got licensed and insured and off he went.

He has worked on and off my jobs for two years now. He has called me daily for the past couple years and poured his heart into this business. He's my protege. :laughing:

Here's a job he just finished. I am very proud of my older brother. He certainly has a talent. Imo.

The light on the railing bar was the HO idea.

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It felt really weird to divulge all the nuts and bolts and top secret info to anyone. But he's my brother and in the San Diego market.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Old farts have worked thru most of life's BS.
I'm one.
My older guys rock.
The young guys need babysitting, require much attention, and create 99% of the problems.

Large project he did and looks pro!

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a limit on thanks? :eek:

Sharp looking deck! It'll be one more earned accomplishment towards your brother's retirement

(I'll just assumed you would have thanked this post, Mike - I can keep a mental tally :laughing:)
Yep, too many people abuse the thank you button. :no:

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally like it, how ever I was called out on this, so what's up, maybe everybody's main man BCC can explain this phenomena
Even so killer we should go easy on him he just got his feet wet. Considering, I think he's doing great. As you know it's always the nuances that kick our butts.

·
Designer/Contractor
3,477 Posts
That's really good of you to help out your brother like that and it sounds he's doing right by you also.

If I may ask what is it that Killer Decks got called out on? Don't do a lot of decks and always trying to avoid problems.........................Just looking at the photo again, is it the less than 4" opening requirement?

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's really good of you to help out your brother like that and it sounds he's doing right by you also.

If I may ask what is it that Killer Decks got called out on? Don't do a lot of decks and always trying to avoid problems.........................Just looking at the photo again, is it the less than 4" opening requirement?
The baluster spacing on each side of the post not being equal.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Old farts have worked thru most of life's BS.
I'm one.
My older guys rock.
The young guys need babysitting, require much attention, and create 99% of the problems.

Large project he did and looks pro!
Funny how when I was younger I sure new a lot more than I know now. :laughing: I used to think I knew a lot, until I got older and realized how much I didn't learn. Thing is you don't know what you don't know.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The big question, especially since he is somewhat new to the trade, did he make a solid profit? Looks great by the way.
He did pretty good on this one. He's had his ups and downs. But I can tell you I've given him all my numbers, and supply connections. He's leaps and bounds ahead of me when I was in my first two years. I had to figure it all out myself. He also has all the cool tools. I hooked him up quite a bit there as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts