Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone figure the area for this got damn thing? If you could also let me know the formula that would be cool.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Banned
538 Posts
i BELIEVE it is 225. you have to look at it in different shapes. thats basically a rectangle and a triangle. the formula for a square is base times height but im sure you know that. you use the same formula for a triangle but divide it by two. so for this, you have 14 feet to the highest point, and 4' on the other side until the diagonal point starts, so you know where the rectangle ends, and the triangle begins on the side that is 14 feet. which is 4 feet leaving you 10 for the triangle, and 4' for the rectangle. we already know the base because its given, which is 25' for the base. and the rectangle is left to 25'x4'. so for the triangle, it becomes 10'x25' which is 250, divided by 2 is 125 for the area of the triangle. that leaves 25'x4' for the rectangle which is 100sq ft. add the two and its 225.
maybe im wrong, its been a while since i did this crap.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The area of the trapezoid is equal to the average of the bases times the height.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Just goes to show how easy it is to fork up a quote if you don't take your time.

You know the term for putting the decimal in the wrong place?

Lowest bid :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
Think we all might be missing something here. Apparently this shape does not have two 90 degree angles. If one side of the triangle is 10, and the other is 25, the hypotenuse cannot be 30 if this is a right triangle!

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I believe we need to know at least one of the angles for an accurate figure. This shape can flex without a given angle that will affect the square footage.

Without a square corner trigonometry is the only option for a solution. Does anyone remember the concept of sign, cosign and tangent? It's not pop quiz, relax.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There is not enough information on the diagram for an accurate area calculation.

you need at least one angle discription.

or...at least one cross corner dimmension

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Good attn to detail. That would make the shape four-sided polygon. or a Quadrilateral. Not sure without checking but I think you would avg. the base times the avg of the height.
25+30= 55 / 2 =27.5
14+4 = 18 / 2 = 9

27.5 * 9 = 247.5 sq ft

1 - 20 of 28 Posts