Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Janitor
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I am looking at a broken window repair. The outside pane of glass on a double pane (insulated) sash has been broken. The HO asked for a new window, he thinks the whole window will have to come out. The sash tilts in to clean the outside and although I have personally never replaced just the sash, I think this is a definate possibility. Keeping my clients best interests in mind, I have also contacted a glass company to see about replacing the glass and refilling the dbl pane with argon or whatever goes in between. This is also a service I have not used and am wondering if this can be done.

So my question is, What is the the best way to deal with a broked window? Oh and it does have a grid. I will be on the phone on Monday making some progress on this...I just thought I would put up a post here to see if there is any feedback, thanks for reading.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the whole window should be replaced. If the sash was intact you could order a replacement glass from a glass co. I am not familiar with on-site argon filling, but i would personally be extremely skeptical of such a practice.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Depending on the window, I recommend ordering a new sash from the manufacturer. Replacing insulated glass can be done, but isn't as easy as swapping out a sash. The repair places I know of want the sash at their shop to work on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The best way to deal with broken glass is to replace the glass.

Take the glass out the same way it was put in by the manufacturer. On plastic windows there is usually a snap retainer aluminum sashes are screwed at the corners, wood sashes have moldings.

I can't believe what I am reading about replacing broken glass being a "difficult job"

Mark

"I have thought about, and decided not to participate" - Sam Walton, commenting on the 1991 recession.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,808 Posts
I usually just replace the sash. Find the manufacturer, measure the pane size (the length & width of VISIBLE glass) & order it up. For the 23" x 47" brosco I did a few months ago, it was under $90 for the replacement sash. The Andersen casement sash, however, was closer to $200.

·
Joe The Handyman
68 Posts
I've replaced the glass on tilt in windows several times. Some shops can fabricate the glass onsite and turn it around in a day. Others will measure and order the glass which is usually a 10 day process. The cost here in MA is under $100. Talk to you local siding & glass dealer or a glass shop to figure out the best option.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Replace the glass. It takes maybe 5 minutes. here an average window..30"x30" is about 75.00 more for low e. you need to measure length width and thickness..I use a clamp that will fit over the sash mark it then put the clamp back in the same position and measure it. Also draw a picture with the grid and sizes on it. I ordered one once they said I measured it backwards so the grid was in sideways.

·
Janitor
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everone for the feedback.

MarkNoV, this is cake work. You said this is "difficult"? Nah.:thumbsup:

I will get it going and be done by lunch, thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Could be easy as pie to replace the glass insulated unit, or not. I have run across sashes that they bed the glass in silicone caulk when it is placed in the sash frame. I wouldn't want to try and remove that, PITA. If you know the manufacturer, order replacement, slide out old, slide in new, done!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've seen crappy on site repairs by the glass co. I've replaced sashes with new kits and have taken the sash to the glass shop - 3 days for a new sealed glass unit about $90. To please the customer you can paint white a pc of ply, both sides, and screw it over the outside opening until you get the sash back.

·
Janitor
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang, I was all pumped up...I don't work on Sundays!:clap:
:laughing:I thought it was monday already, jeez

Steve, I don't have a Pic.

TimNJ Thanks for the thoughts on the silicone possibility. If my glass Co. says they can do it, I will take the sash to them.

·
Janitor
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being new here, I think it is nice to chew the fat with other Tradesmen in Bussiness, sure beats me trying to hash out the ideas in my head, my wife couldn't care less.

Where else could you talk about a broken window with some interest?

Thanks again for everyones input.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Being new here, I think it is nice to chew the fat with other Tradesmen in Bussiness, sure beats me trying to hash out the ideas in my head, my wife couldn't care less.

Where else could you talk about a broken window with some interest?

Thanks again for everyones input.
That's OK. We're like a support group for wayward contractors.:laughing:

·
Registered
801 Posts
just order new sashes

and let the manufactor work on it..mine up here usually can do it 7-10 days

if its a cheapo window and the sash replacement is up there...it may be easier to replace vs waiting a week

the window supplier i use has a free replacement on broken sashes on most of there window series

·
Gonna die a glass guy
367 Posts
Support Group? Oh Good :notworthy My Wife and Kids are calling you guys my Boyfriends:no:.

As far as that window goes dont sweat it? Let the glass company come out and measure it, order it, and put it in. It's possible they could screw it up you always get those but it's more likely that they'll do a great job and everyone will be happy. A vinyl window should be no problem

Thank you to the Lone, for the Support Group definition

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,160 Posts
Could be easy as pie to replace the glass insulated unit, or not. I have run across sashes that they bed the glass in silicone caulk when it is placed in the sash frame. I wouldn't want to try and remove that, PITA. If you know the manufacturer, order replacement, slide out old, slide in new, done!:thumbsup:
I use the razor knife the has the blade that can be pushed way out, the snap off kind I think Tajima sells a fat heavy duty one. I stick the blade way out and cut whatever holds the glass in, sillycone, glazing tape?? If it’s held in with glazing tape I scrape it off with a sharp chisel,oh and getting the bead that holds the glass in off is funn too, post a pic or decribe it? I use a puddy knife most of the time [*_*]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts