Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved into a new place a couple of months ago, i've known that the irrigation system had issues but am just now getting some time to really work on it.

So my front yard has 4 zones running off of for 1" automatic valves. All of the zones work fine EXCEPT for number 4 which just so happens to be the zone for main the body of the lawn. The problem is that when # 4 kicks on, the 6-7 sprinkler heads dont even budge. They don't pop up, they don't spurt water out like a stuck head would, all they do is slowly leak a dribble of water which collects in a pool on top of the sprinkler head.

I opened the cap on the top of the valve and manually started the water flow, it appears that water is flowing correctly through the valve, but for some reason it doesn't look like it's building any pressure behind the sprinkler heads.

My initial thought on this is that there must be a break in the line somewhere right? That being said, I'm not seeing any wet spots or bubbling up or anything like that. It's also worth mentioning that this zone only has 6-7 standard cheapy pop up spray heads, so I don't think its a matter of having to many heads for the zone.

Unless you guys have a different idea, my plan is to grab a spade shovel this weekend and just start digging. Would really appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull the questionable sprinkler heads and make sure the screens are clean, and they are functioning properly. Flush the system.
I will definitely do that, but it would be strange for every single one to be clogged right? Also I've noticed that when I do get a clogged head, the water tends to spurt and sputter a bit more. This really is just a slow lazy trickle.

·
Contractor
7,802 Posts
I will definitely do that, but it would be strange for every single one to be clogged right? Also I've noticed that when I do get a clogged head, the water tends to spurt and sputter a bit more. This really is just a slow lazy trickle.
No it would not be unheard of for every head on one zone to be clogged.

You stated you have only owned the property for a couple months, do you know how it was maintained previously?

i've known that the irrigation system had issues but am just now getting some time to really work on it.
So, don't pull and clean the heads, don't flush the system. Get your spade out and start digging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it would not be unheard of for every head on one zone to be clogged.

You stated you have only owned the property for a couple months, do you know how it was maintained previously?

So, don't pull and clean the heads, don't flush the system. Get your spade out and start digging.
The previous owner was a landscaper by trade, he owned a company that did tropical themes. That being said, some of his work was really nice, but some of it that i've found is pretty half A$$'d. I have no idea if any substantial maintenance done on the system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tree roots pinching pipe, rock stuck in an elbow, I would go half way and plug line. see if half works ok and keep isolating until you find the pressure loss
interesting that you mention tree roots. We have couple of qeen palms in the planter bed next to the lawn in question. I've tried digging down in the lawn 20 feet from where the trees are and it's just a maze of spider roots.

Thank you for the tips, I'll definitely keep these in mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts