Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was gutting a small house and snapped a tooth off of my oldest flat bar. It flew inches from my cheek bone. I've never had one break like that before.

So Now I'm thinking I need to replace all of them before I loose an eye.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I once snapped a Stanley wonderbar. I can't recall what I was working on, but I didn't have a bigger bar on hand.

I've lost two Stanley's.
First one broke the entire end off the 90deg end.
Second broke one tooth off the 90 end,

From what I remember they both broke in cold weather.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Reactions: TRMolnar

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest I'm not even sure what brand it is. All of the paint is basically gone. its whatever off brand my lumberyard used to sell... I figure its similar to a 14" wonder bar.

Today it was around 45° here. So I don't think it was the cold weather... probably just old and weak?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
For trim work, can't beat the $7 Richards flat pry/scraper, grabs 18g nails perfectly in the notch. For medium suty I like the estwing I beam bar, strong and ligth for a decent price. Heavy duty I go to my 36" gränsfors renovator bar, super strong, not to heavy, nice tapered ends to get between materials easily

·
Registered
577 Posts
Cant go wrong with estwing for regular flat bar. I mostly just use a crate hammer anymore. Get a 9in Bridgeport crate hammer off eBay .your love it.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
Buckeye Don said:
The Hyde pry bar. Sometimes you will find them in the paint dept. also.
This is the number one tool in my pouch for trim. Lost without it.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Hyde-9-1-2-in-Pry-Bar-Scraper-45600/100123416
This is the one to get. I got one from my grandfathers tools. It is also used for scraping honey off of the hive(he was a bee keeper).

It is now one of my top five tools (utility knife, tape measure, pencil, prybar) okay I forgot the hammer. So make it one of my top six tools.

The best!

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
So today I was gutting a small house and snapped a tooth off of my oldest flat bar. It flew inches from my cheek bone. I've never had one break like that before.

So Now I'm thinking I need to replace all of them before I loose an eye.

Any suggestions?
While you are replacing those flat bars, get a pair of safety glasses and you won't have to worry about losing an eye! Just sayin.

·
Head sawdust creator
1,125 Posts
This is what I use. I have a few cus they are inexpensive ... like 7 bucks or something. Sharpen the chisel end and they really hold an edge!! Richard is the brand name and I have never even bent one let along break it!!!

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
I like the Vaughan one the best, lost ,but never broke one yet. The angle and shape of the end seen to work good too.

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
The Hyde pry bar. Sometimes you will find them in the paint dept. also.
This is the number one tool in my pouch for trim. Lost without it.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Hyde-9-1-2-in-Pry-Bar-Scraper-45600/100123416
Those are awesome. Not much for prying, but for scraping and trim, they are really good.

I like the Vaughn trim bar a bit more because I get a lot of leverage. I use it for even heavy demo as I prefer a bit of finesse instead of full blast breakage. It also fits in my bags, so I always have it with me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts